Honored Contributor

An egg is an "egg-celant" idea, birdmama!  (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)  If he/she is truly a crow, you're better off because healthy crows will eat just about anything.  They are constantly on the look-out around here for goodies.  Baked goods, meats, pet food, along with their wild diet of bugs and stuff.  They also will eat carrion, like vultures.  But I don't know about an injured or ill crow.

Whatever you're going to do about it, don't fuss with the bird too much.  Human contact without proper medical and nutritional attention would most likely stress the bird.  Settle it down for the night with food and water in as safe a place as you can, then leave it alone.  If it's still going strong in the morning, then you've got another problem: what to do with it then!

Honored Contributor

I don't know much about crows, but they could be like pigeons in that you don't see them out and about until they are about the size of the adult, but are still young.

Baby sparrows, fledglings, grackles, starlings, cardinals are easier to spot in the wild.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

He's probably accustomed to hanging out in the Walmart parking lot and isn't frightened of people.  There are usually a ton of them every time I go there.

Don't you dare take that dirty bird into your house!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@DEnatsfan

This is going to sound crazy, but if you boil an egg and shell it and break it up, it will probably eat it.  It's also a good source of protein and fats for the bird.

A boiled egg is part of the handfeeding diet for sparrows and starlings - the only birds I have experience with 'fresh out of the egg' (hatching/rescue).

It's cool to meet another animal lover DEnatsfan :-)

@Bird mama

It's true, I believe, that birds use the white of the egg to survive on before they hatch, and that it's the yolk that is the unfertilized part of an egg, so perhaps it's not so odd that a bird could eat an egg.

And some birds do snatch fertilized eggs from other birds' nest, I seem to recall.  (Sorry, too lazy at this moment to look that up.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Bird on my steps

[ Edited ]

Chickens love eating raw eggs.  When we had chickens and an abundance of eggs, I'd often throw out a raw egg or two in the yard.  They'd break open and all the chickens would come running to eat them.  Often they'd also eat at least some of the shell.  I suppose other birds are the same.  

Occasional Contributor

Well, yesterday, I boiled him an egg, chopped it up and presented it to him.  I must have scared him because he jumped  off my stoop and disappeared into my shrubs in the front yard.  I scooped up the egg, fish, birdseed and water and placed everything in the bushes.  Havent seen him all day.  That's the best I can do. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know about raw eggs.  I'm only basing my cooked egg suggestion on the hand made formula that I learned from a rehabber that works for smaller birds :-)

I remember seeing that recipe when Poppi and Peewee had just hatched and I thought, egg?  Isn't that kind of like cannabilism? LOL

Honored Contributor

@DEnatsfan

You do the best you can.  The bird had shrubs to hide in, food that was available and water to quench it's thirst. :-)