Honored Contributor

Is there anything we can put in the water in the bird bath that will keep the water from getting stagnet and turning black, that wont hurt the birds?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I always keep a "Water Wiggler" in my bird bath.  My only problem of late is, the squirrels seem to like to little rubber grommets that swirls around and sometimes upend the Wiggler and chew off the grommets! Go figure!  Today, I'm replacing the grommets with some aluminum foil to see if I can outsmark those critteers!   I got my Water Wiggler at my local bird store, but I think they're available at several places on line...including Amazon.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of a Water Wiggler, but I will definitely try it.  Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie. It's the dome-shaped one that is battery-operated and keeps the water moving.  It takes 2 D batteries, but I find that they last most of the summer.  I've been using such a device for many years now.  The birds also like the moving water.  Good luck! (Just checked Amazon and it's about $30.  I believe that's about the price I paid at my local bird store.  And I will say that the manufacurer provides awesome service.  I've contacted them a couple of times or more requesting the armature that holds the grommets, as well as additional grommets.  They've always sent me a packet of a few at no charge!  (Hopefully, my new plan of aluminum foil willl work!).  I think you'll like the product!

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie

I have to refresh my birdbaths every other day due to evaporation and the birds splashing it out.  

The water never has time to turn!

Every few weeks or so, I clean them out completely to keep the algae from growing on the bottom surface.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette......................Thanks again, I just ordered a mini water fountain from Amazon.  It got excellent reviews.  Hopefully it will keep hubby from having to scrub the bird bath so often.

Esteemed Contributor

I have to change my bird bath water 3 or 4 times a day ,they use it soooo much all year round.

During winter it is heated and looks like a suna with Ice forming all around it!  They love it and I love watching them    Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie

Really, just spray them out daily.... it is  not healthy for the birds  to drink and bath in stagnent water...... I take a brush to mine once a week with a touch of dish soap and clean them,.,,, rinse REALLY GOOD AFTER CLEANING.  Then refill.

On Amazon there are some products to add to birdbaths to keep them clean saying they are non toxic to birds for birdbaths BUT DO NOT USE THEM... the ingredients are very bad and not safe at all!  squirrels also drink this water and it will also harm them... 

Just keep clean water in them.

Esteemed Contributor

We always keep copper pennies in the bottom of ours. Works well in our bath. Heard this from our neighbor who is 102 and he’s done this as long as he can remember. Any penny before 1960. We still scrub it once a week though. 🦅 

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

We always keep copper pennies in the bottom of ours. Works well in our bath. Heard this from our neighbor who is 102 and he’s done this as long as he can remember. Any penny before 1960. We still scrub it once a week though. 🦅 

@godiHow interesting!   I do not think so have a copper penny though.....will any copper item  work you think?