Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden That I am not sure about. Any pennies before 1960 work. Good luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've always thought bird baths should be cleaned out and scrubbed with a bristle brush every day to keep diseases from forming and the birds healthy. We've been doing that for doing that for five generations in our family. Never added anything to the water. Water in Nebraska is clear and clean fresh water. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

For those putting copper pennies in bird bath water, have you done the research?  

Even if an article says its "relatively safe" or whatever other words they may use, how do you know what effect it's having on birds when they leave?  

Copper only helps a little in keeping down algae, but not completely.

https://www.thespruce.com/does-copper-clean-a-bird-bath-4140398

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

From watching my Birdies over these many years,I have noticed they are great weather forcasters.

I notice they bathe a LOT  just before a storm. 

Both in  winter and   in summer..........   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

@SeaMaiden That I am not sure about. Any pennies before 1960 work. Good luck. 

@godi  I ordered some copper pennies   on eBay today. Enough for my 5 birdbaths.  I will give it a try!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden Hope it works for you. Like I said we still clean our birdbath out weekly. The pennies seem to keep it cleaner. ❤️

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

@SeaMaiden Hope it works for you. Like I said we still clean our birdbath out weekly. The pennies seem to keep it cleaner. ❤️

@godi  Yes... cleaning is so important for the health of the birdies I agree!   I just hope the pennies help with slowing down some of that black and read alga that grows in the summer with the heat.  I will let you all know if it works this summer for me or not. Smiley Happy