Honored Contributor

Re: Bill the cat is upset with me.......

@Annabellethecat66   My friend had a heated bed for her cat that just passed away.  He was always in it and really loved it.  I've sent her an email to ask what it was.  Here's one I found on Amazon that looks nice.  

K&H Manufacturing KH ThermoKitty Bed Sage 16"

DEC73883-5950-49D0-BD1D-E8B10AC69F76.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  Thanks, I'll go looking for that one.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got all of mine on Amazon.

No, it is more expensive than $24.  

K&H L'ectro-soft heated bed (you only want the "soft" - the others are older versions and are made from very hard plastic)

These are all flat:

The small one 14" x 18" is $39.75
The medium one 19" x 24" is $42.82
The large one 25" x 36" is $93.99

I have used them for years - they are excellent quality and really last.  They come with a washable cover.  The temp is not as warm as for a human, as animal temps are different and they can get easily burned by human heating pads, electric blankets, etc.  These are designed specifically for pets.  I am like you, I had a tabby cat that liked to sit in the garage in the dark looking/waiting for mice.  I did not want him to be cold, but he loved being out there so much.  I found these beds and bought the cat the largest bed.  He LOVED it!  I have a small one I use personally as a foot warmer in my office (slab-on-grade so it gets cold in winter) and I love mine, too.  I have them all throughout the house and every pet uses them.

They do not get over heated, but you always want them to have the option to get off of it.  So, not in a crate if it covered the whole floor.  That is true of anything that offeres temp options - the pet needs to be able to choose it and not have it be forced.

Hope this helps.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack I found it on Amazon.  I don't think they'd like it as much because it's too open.

They lay in the thing together.  The problem is Bill is all about hiding in places but Katie is too skitzy to hide.

Right now they're both in that huge QVC thing that's way big on them but it's very very fluffy.

It's a good thing I don't have many visitors as my entire living room is filled with a cat bed, scratching thingys and toys, lots of toys!

Let me find a picture of Bill's favorite little stuffed guy.  He hides this thing everywhere.  It's only about 2 inches long.  I've seen him carrying it in his mouth.

I've opened the bedroom door and it's been outside of the door on the floor!

I can't find it right now on Amazon.  Normally, it pops up every time I get on here.

OMG!  Looking for the little guy is like looking through all of the errrrr....stuff? I've bought the cats over time.

Here's one they do love and they're really good at it now.

They have to dig out the treat(s).  At least they have to work at it....

Honored Contributor

Here's another toy they like.  Although the wire bends just enough that it doesn't stay high up.

Bill likes it when I hold onto the white base and he jumps for the butterfly.

It's so funny because he likes the way the fluttering of the butterfly tickles his face.  He'll stand there for what seems like a long time just letting the flutter of the butterfly tickle his face.  

You can tell he's in nirvana, just standing there, so funny.

Zenes Funny Cat Toy Butterfly - Electric Flutter Rotating Butterfly, Cat Teaser Toy with Two Replacement

I bought extra butterflys but I've never had to replace them!  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 I LOVE ginger (orange) kitties they are my FAVORITE! Had one for years as a kid named Tiger.

Cats love heat. We would always set the warming bed or blanket on low but one cat made it known he liked it warmer!

Also, my sister's and BIL's cats will lay as close to the hearth as they can when a fire is going. I've seen documentaries about cats and heat. One showed a couple of cats sleeping on a shelf in a hot blacksmith's shop in England!

Love reading about your kitties. Your DD's dog sounds great.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   I would love to see pictures of Bill and Katie!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

If you are looking for something more closed-in go to the manufacturer's site to see all options (thye have lots), then go back to Amazon if you want to buy from Amazon.  Search for: kjmfg

Skip the Thermo-Mod Dream Pod...I have 3 and they have a smell (due to the shell).  I aired them out for 3 months and it still smells...it is better, but still smells.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

I second, third, or whatever the recommendation for the K&H heated beds. The model I use is a cup like the one NickNack posted, but it has a half-hood that can be zipped off. It's  lined in a leopard print. I have four of those beds and a few more of the K&H heating pads in small (4 watt) and medium (6 watt) models. (The beds, small and large, all come with the 4-watt pad.) I put the beds where they do their serious sleeping. I put the heating pads under fleece blankets on windowsills or improvised sleeping spots. 

My K&H pads and beds have lasted for years. I plug them in in late October, when the heat goes on, and unplug them in late April. They're sort of cat magnets when the weather gets cold. I keep the house between 55 and 60 and the beds keep them comfortable.

The beds are machine washable. You unzip them and remove the foam insert and heating pad. I line dry mine.

I do not deform the heating pads, IOW, make them try to fit an oddly shaped or too-small container. I read reviews from one person who did that and the pads stopped working.

I had a long conversation with a K&H employee and learned that if I rig up my own bed, I shouldn't put heating pads under the entire sleeping area. She said the cat may need to move away from the heat if it gets too warm.

She said not to use anything like the reflective material found in self-warming pads with the electric heater in the setups I do myself. If you have a bed or pad that's called "self heating," don't put a K&H heating pad under or inside it. 

Last thing, if I were keeping a house at a "normal" temp in winter (65 degrees or higher) I would not use a heating pad made for outdoor use inside. I think they're too warm. Four and 6 watts is all they really need, judging from my cats, who are all seniors, in my cold house. If you do use an outdoor pad inside, please be sure there's plenty of sleeping area that's unheated so they can get off if it gets too warm for them.

Valued Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Annabellethecat66  That is hilarious!! I love Bill! And try a heated bed as suggested by others. Most cats love them! (Oh I hear a meow at the door, gotta run) !!

When you answered the door was the cat wearing a dog costume? Got it! LOL