Frequent Contributor

I am dogless at this time but had 2 English Mastiffs at one point, One had wobbler's syndrome and passed at 3 and the other lived past 10 but got bone cancer. Anyone have pictures or stories to share of their big dogs? Saw a gorgeous Great Dane pup at the park today, Could not stop watching him,,,Otto.

Honored Contributor

I had collies for years but finally, during an emergency,  realized that I could no longer handle them when they had to be lifted into the car.  Sadly, I gave up the breed and settled for a mini Aussie and a mutt that's a smaller dog, both rescues.  My little mutt from the shelter may be the most perfect dog I've ever had.  She has all the qualities one could want in a canine companion.   She's not tiny, about 35lbs.

At least my present two can't counter-surf.  My collie, Jett, would pick cans off the pantry shelves, take them out through the dog door, pierce them and drink the liquid, then completely tore open the cans.  He never cut himself.  He favored soups.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Over the years we've had 4 Newfoundlands, 2 Gt. Pyrenees, and a mix of possibly sheepdog/ setter. We currently have our 2nd Gt. Pyrenees and a young Bernese Mountain Dog. Our 3rd Newfie passed at age 2 from Myasthenia Gravis. Our 1st Gt. Pyr died at age 8 from bone cancer.

Our last Newfie was a character. Stole a corned beef roast out of the wall oven. His cousin known as Goofy Newfie could open peanutbutter jars. The mix, Cookie Monster would crawl under the bed, get stuck and have to be pulled out. We've always had big dogs believing we're less likely to trip over them.

Esteemed Contributor

Not that long ago, we had two large black and tan coonhounds.  Brother and sister - she was 100 lbs and he was 75.  The boy had long legs and was very good at getting up on things.  (We called him a "counter terrorist".)  When he bayed, it sounded like a locomotive coming through an unmarked crossing.  I miss those dogs!  I think they were both around 12 at the end, which was a ripe old age for their size.

Our boy now is a 60lb "sheprador".  He's a doll but demands to be taken seriously!

IMG_0184.JPG

A lighter moment:

IMG_0437.JPG

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

My largest dog was a Great Dane at 175 lbs.  I sure loved that boy.  @chprsp  he also got stuck under the bed once and we had to lift the bed off him.  When he was a pup, he liked to sneak under the bed; however, he grew fast and found himself stuck.  Needless to say, he no longer hid under the bed!  He also stole a grilled cheese sandwich off a plate on the counter.  The counter was just at his mouth height. 

He was such a good dog - didn't need a fence, he was not leaving the property by himself and on walks he didn't need a leash, stayed right by my side.  Loved his van rides; especially to get dairy queen and to the burger shop where they always gave him a burger.  He was the only dog I had that did not sleep in our bed.  There was no room for the three of us.  He slept in his own bed at the foot of ours.

His favorite toy was a bicycle tire and a 2 foot long chew bone.  My friend had an English Mastiff and a Rotweiler and the three of them loved to play together.  The sad part about having a large dog is their short life span.  We lost him at age 9 1/2.  He was surely missed.

Esteemed Contributor

I adopted an Alaskan Malamute for $1. From the neighbors across the street. They couldn't control her. 
       Jessie was 96 lbs and escaped any fence or pen. She was the terror of the neighborhood (before I got her and leash laws). She stole workmen's lunches out of cars and hated cats, they all ran up trees fast.
        We did two classes of dog training and she did well. We built a 8' fenced area and had to put an electric wire at the bottom or she would dig out. Hated thunder, I had to hold her and sing!
         At 9 she developed a brain tumor and had radiation at a vet school daily for a month. She lived a year, not all good.
         Had I raised her she would have been better behaved. But she was loyal, always putting herself between me and cars or snakes or men. She loved our Basset and protected him from shots at the vet! 
           After the last Basset I wanted a dog I could lift and bathe in the laundry tub. We got the first Jack Russell. Big dog in a small package. Tom Sawyer was taken over by my husband and Tom died 10 days after him. 
          Now I have two Jack Russells, my best friends!

Respected Contributor

Pinky was an 80 lb.  American Bulldog.  She looked scary but was mild as milk.  She wanted very much to please us.  Such a good girl.  We lost her last year.  She almost made it to 13 which is very old, the vet told us.

Respected Contributor

all of the stories posted made me cry....i miss all of my beloved pets that have passed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I always have German Shelpherds and had one Husky. I am just in love the German Shelpher breed. They are smart dogs. Very loyal and train easy for whatever you need. My dogs are also watch dogs,. We have woods surrounding us so I feel very secure with these dogs. They alert to whatever you train them to make you aware. 

Respected Contributor

I love Labs. Have had four. Lance NEVER left the yard . Linus who I still have, ran. Bailed him out of doggy jail once, several rides in police cars. Be would burst out of doors, cars. open them and wore two collars as twisted out of one  even on walks.. There went the ID.  Even harnesses. I am sure that is why he ended in the shelter.  I would get close to him and zoom gone and it was a game .  So many  frustrated  tears ,worries  sleepless nights. He never growled and loved children. He often ended up at a home with kids.  Ran until he dropped. He is 11 now and waits to be leashed now and no more bolting. I love that car commercial ,as just like  Banjo. One time early in the a.m. neighbors called about a barking dog. Three Police came!!! He was out thankfully on my property barking at a racoon. Came to Policeman, refused to come to me. One guy admitted ,a slow night??? Really?????

I currently rescued  a black Lab/Border Collie, Luella  and she stays close to home and wants to please. A big relief. I have so many Black Lab items ,from  plates, wine glasses and checks ,so had to again seek a Black Lab. The  Vet I had and is retired loved Labs. Let them crawl all over on him. He said everyone has one dog that is THE dog  in their lifetime and Linus is the one. Oh the grief ,but people like him. He is great at the Dog Park,  never a problem with other dogs . Wears a scarf for each Holiday or season.