Trusted Contributor

@Perkup.  I am in central NY wine country.     Lots of rolling hills, lakes and wineries.   Lots of wildlife and open woods with little development except the cities.   All of the groomed trails, many have been and are being paved, make easy travel for predators.  We live in their territory so we have to live on their terms.

A few years back on an extremely beautiful summer night I decided to sleep outside in my hammock in my walnut grove.   I was aroused by a horrible loud scream not far from me.  The critter walked down across the yard and returned about an hour later again screaming at me.  By then I had retrieved my flashlight from the ground.  It was a beautiful gray fox.   I was a strange scent and I did not belong there.  I took my comforter and went in the house.   

Honored Contributor

We have a large medical clinic here right in the middle of the business area.  Its owned by a HMO with many elderly patients.  When you go through the auto doors you're immediately in a huge waiting room.

A few years ago we had a young bear in town, which happens a few times each year.  The cops were chasing this one when it decided to seek refuge in the clinic.  The auto door was very accommodating.  You can only imagine the chaos that ensued when the young bear got in the building and the grandmas and grandpas got a glimpse of him.  They cleared the building in seconds as the terrified bear galloped down a long hallway.  Eventually he was tranquilized and hauled away, back to the mountains.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On my NextDoor dot com group a lot of people have reported seeing coyotes.  One person said that several of them chased her medium sized dog one evening.  Very scary.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

We live in a close suburb of Chicago and see coyotes all the time.  There are lots of coyotes in city proper,too.  They are actually beneficial in many ways,there was a show about it.

I never leave my dogs out in the yard after dark,lots of skunks around here,too.  I walk them in the front for their final "go".

Has any one seen the PBS show "The Coywolf"? Wonderful creatures,fascinating informative show.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Beware the Wily Coyote!

[ Edited ]

There have been a lot of coyotes spotted where we are moving.  Chloe is 60 lbs but hey if they have a pack they could hurt any size. We won't have a fence for a little while so someone will always be out there with her for a few months. We are in NE IN close to the Ohio and MI border.

Honored Contributor

Stop feeding the cats outside, if you can not keep them,then get a hold of them by setting a save trap,so you can take them to a pet rescue,or society.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We used to shoot at them when they'd come around our place trying to get our livestock. I'm not providing them with free meals. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval