Honored Contributor

We watched the Cat Bowl (and DVR'd the Kitten Bowl) today. She is so good with the animals. If anyone else watched it you saw the Noth Shore Animal League's "Bianca's Furry Friends Feline Adoption Center." I think I saw it last year too, but it wasn't as complete. Billy Joel is a huge donor, and there is a music room with a piano and "speakers" (cat play houses). Rachel Ray is also a huge donor. They have an on-site medical center.

As DH put it, "If I were a cat I'd never want to leave there"! Smiley Wink

Thank you to Beth and the work she does to make sure animals find their forever homes! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have had contact recently with a rescue organization.  They really do God's work.  They are so hard working and dedicated.  It is NOT easy work.

The foster mom and her husband of our adopted dog were nearly in tears when they handed her over to us.  They really cared about her.  I could tell, and told them so, that I could see how much they put into the dog.  They told me what they fed her, what toys she liked, all about her demeanor, etc.  The head of the rescue came along with them for us to meet the dog.  After she picked her up from animal control, she kept her in her home for a few days until she could find a foster.

It's wonderful if anyone gives of their time and money to help our animal friends.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

She's a sweetie. She and her husband, Howard Stern, have fostered many animals over the years. Hallmark Channel also has an area there. There Home and Family show regularly features adoptables.

Honored Contributor

We, as a family, recently had a terrible situation with a dearly loved rescued pet, who needed a hospice setting that was unavailable in the area in which he was living. 

The original "rescue" that placed him folded soon after. Since it was determined that he was desperately ill a matter of less than 6 weeks after he joined the family, after we were all in love with him, the financial burden for his care fell, and fell hard, on his family.

It's easier to talk the talk than to walk the walk in many cases of vulnerable animals. 
BLESS THE CELEBRATIES OF THIS WORLD WHO WALK THE WALK.

Trusted Contributor

People who love animals are special people.  North Shore Animal League gets a lot of money from big celebrities.  However, I try to donate to the smaller rescue places here on LI since they don't having the funding that NSAL does.  They all do good work, but some places really need the money to do what they do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspersmom 

I used to donate to them years ago, and you are right, they do great work.

As years went by, however, I give more support to my local rescues that help my community and the animals living here.

I admire Beth S. for the work she does...obviously, she has been generous and has the resources.  Good for her!

Valued Contributor

North Shore is a wonderful organization, for sure.

We adopted our first dog from them over 30 years ago.  I donated to them for a long time.

Now I give what I can to Best Friends.  It is located in Utah and their mission is to try to save as many animals from all over the country as they can.   They are working to make shelters "no kill."

I also commend Beth and Howard for what they do.  I like to daydream, sometimes, what I could do to help animals if I had their kind of money.