Super Contributor

Bears will be coming out of dens soon

Bears and cubs will be coming out soon so if you have bears near you please watch for them crossing the roads. C0FE3CA4-80C8-4309-8123-68833DD84EE2.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bears will be coming out of dens soon

Yes, and they often come out of their dens hungry!
Watch out for your pets and kids playing in the backyard. Though bears don't want to harm a dog or a child, the bear may be startled or confused as they forage or traipse in the wrong place. 🐻

Respected Contributor

So cute , at least from a distance.

Honored Contributor

In my neck of the woods, I have never ever heard of anyone hitting a bear while driving.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Frequent Contributor

Don't know where you are but where I live it's time to bring in the bird feeders and don't leave pet food outside. 

Today I sent my spring donation to the Bear Center in my state the cares for orphaned black bear cubs.

Esteemed Contributor

They look so cute & harmless 😂🤣😂🤣

Esteemed Contributor

We live in a wooded suburb in CT, close to two game preserves.  So we have bears in the warmer weather.  Time to take our bird feeders down so we don’t attract them to our yard.  In fact, it’s such an issue that it’s illegal in our town to have bird feeders out in the warm weather.  We’ve never had an issue, but some bears have run amok and even broken into a few houses.  And we do keep our trash bins in the garage til right before pickup.

They are beautiful creatures, but I can tell you it’s a bit of a jolt when you see how huge one can be walking through your yard.  If you see one, you just walk away slowly.  If you run, some folks have been chased.  Life is all an adventure.

Honored Contributor

Spring bear sightings are a given in my area of southern WV.  Visitors to our state parks are reminded by staff, and signs posted throughout the park, about the wildlife slithering and walking in our forests.

It is mating season for coyotes, skunks, foxes, etc., and the ground is warming earlier than usual this year, so we are already on the alert for snakes.

I-77 from Wytheville, VA to Fayette County, WV is where the most accidents happen involving bears; usually 1st and 2nd year cubs.   

Respected Contributor

@darkhomespun wrote:

Bears and cubs will be coming out soon so if you have bears near you please watch for them crossing the roads. C0FE3CA4-80C8-4309-8123-68833DD84EE2.jpeg

And they're often hungry and in a VERY bad mood. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@darkhomespun Beward June and July which I believe the mating season begins.  We have plenty of bears in Connecticut and they are everywhere....in urban areas (one as beeb seen walking thru the drive in bank in my neighborhood) as well as the more farmland areas and suberbs  My neighbor (we live in a smal town section of houses away from main street in the suburbs) came home from grocery shopping and was removing bags from her car trunk into her house.  Unfortunately she left the trunk open and when she returning  to retrieve the rest she encountered a bear who was perusing the bags of groceries and already had torn open a few bags.