Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,658
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......


@apple1964 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

 


@ccassaday wrote:

IF you live in most areas your dog needs heart worm. It’s expensive and horrible for the dog to get treated if they get  We never used tick and flea until last year. They got so bad we had no choice. We tried some natural things and it didnt work. We get lepto because our dog swims in ponds a lot in the summer. So in this area it is pretty much given with their shots every year.


I understand exactly the choices you had to make. Perhaps, do some research on the medications your dog takes. Maybe a lower dosage? Or to do more research on other medications in this regard that do not have the side effects or the health risks  these meds have. Good luck to you and your dog.


We know heartworm preventative is 100% effective. There is no proof any natural remedies work. We are going to try a soresto collar this year instead of chewable tick pills if we have any tick problems. 

 

I will I’ll agree I don’t think the parvo and distemper shot need to be given every year. One they have the puppy shots they probably have immunity and there are no laws that say they must have the shot.  


@ccassaday

 

Not necessarily in all cases.

 

Our sheltie was on on heartworm preventative his entire life and got heartworms anyway.

 

We found out that his breed has a resistance to Ivermectin in heartworm meds.

 

The treatment for the heartworms in asenic and it was horrible.

 

He survived the treatment but had an enlarged heart as a result of the heartworms and we had him tested every year during his physical.

 

We were shocked that #1, he got them anyway and #2, that they did that much damage in a year's time.


I am so sorry to hear that ... This is the kind of things I am talking about. I am so glad your dog is alright.  I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this with all of us. 


@apple1964

 

While he survived the treatment ( at 4 y.o.), we had him another 6 years before he passed away from congestive heart failure from his enlarged heart, at the young age of 10.

 

Those last years he was on heart meds every day.

 

My sweet boy Harley (I have his name & paw print tattooed):

 

PD_0021.JPG

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,658
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......

[ Edited ]

@Citrine1 wrote:

@KingstonsMom, I'm sorry you went through this with your sheltie.  I can imagine that you were shocked your dog contracted heartworm while on meds.  What I'm surprised about is that your vet didn't have your dog on heartworm medication without Ivermectin.  Rough coated collies also have this problem with Ivermectin, but my dogs are on a heartworm medication that does not contain this ingredient.  


@Citrine1

 

Thank you so much!Heart

 

We were really surprised and disappointed that our vet didn't know either. He's an older vet that we've used and been happy with for 20 years.

 

Our thought was that maybe because he's older, he wasn't keeping up with the new info available on these drugs.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,430
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......

Our excellent vet blends the best of 35 years' experience in both conventional and holistic medicine.   

 

For example, we have a cat with IBD and I did some research, considering feeding her a raw diet because it is touted as so successful for some animals. 

 

I ran it by him and he said, "Never do that."  And I of course asked why.  He told me that of course there's significant risk of contamination, but not in the way you'd think.  She has just a thread of an immune system from years in a hoarder's home and shelters.  Because of that, there's not too much that can guard against contamination because the bad stuff would infiltrate her compromised intestinal tissues -- which are almost always inflamed to some degree -- and harm her. 

 

But the bigger risk was to me!  I have an artificial knee implant.  Those of you who have these know that you've got to stay on top of dental care, UTIs, etc., because an infection goes right to that joint rapidly, attacking it.  Result:  you can be looking at surgery to remove the implant, decontaminate it, then put it back in -- all while you lay in a rehab center. 

 

So I said, well how is the contaminated food particles going to get into me if I'm careful with washing my hands, handling litter, etc.?  And he told me that wasn't the problem.  But my cat kissing me, cleaning her fur then me petting her and possibly touching my mouth -- could be a nightmare. 

 

I never thought of that.  It's always good to listen to prudent advice from trusted vets who practice both conventional/holistic. So I simply homecook diets but only after he checks out the ingredients of my recipes.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,056
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......

@KingstonsMom Yes, my vet is also an "older" man who, no doubt, isn't up on everything either.  Glad to know that you've been happy with him for the most part!

 

Everytime I see your avatar I smile knowing that Kingston is living a good life with you.  Hope he is well!  I still find him just so beautiful!!  

 

Oh, and getting back to the sheltie, I know I was surprised by your post as I was under the impression that collies were the only breed affected by Ivermectin.  Learn something new every day!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,348
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......

One of my goldens kooper turned 15 in feb. he is the one i will not give rabie vaccinations to ,or heartworm meds,or any vaccinations,he has had a lifetime of them, he stays right with me ,when outside ,because he can not walk very far we stay in our yard,i know this is the right thing to do for him.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,430
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......


@apple1964 wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Humans have so many different drugs prescribed to them needlessly and even ones for serious diseases are dangerous.  Doctors are not taught these things and not about natural choices  and vets are the same.  I would not be so quick to criticize them!  

Also, don't believe everything you see online - just because you read about something online doesn't guarantee it's factual!  

When discussing this with my vet he told me about 2 different dogs he recently had to put down who had heart worm who were being treated by a holistic vet who was giving them some natural things to prevent heartworm so there are pros and cons to everything.  


Of course a vet of conventional medicine will tell you this. He/she will never admit these shots are harmful. 


@apple1964-  All of us who have beloved pets will do what we feel is best for them.

 

However, you are being totally unfair condemning all vets who don't agree with what you've decided for youself.  Not all vets are driven by greed.  And no ethical, conventional vet will deliberately lie about a treatment or an experience with an animal.

 

That's really take it too far.  I have a "conventional medicine" vet for my four cats and I trust him implicitly.  We discuss all courses of treatment; some are state-mandated (rabies) and others are elective.  He is NOT in it for the money.  He's "in it" because he loves animals; he has many of his own.

 

You're doing ethical vets a disservice by trying to lump them all together.  And for me, that lessens your argument.

 

(Just an FYI:  I recently took one of my cats in for surgery.  My vet discovered, while doing the pre-op check, something that made it unnecessary.  He called me and I returned to collect her.  He charged me NOTHING for the pre-op care.)

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,036
Registered: ‎08-07-2013

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......


@Venezia wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Humans have so many different drugs prescribed to them needlessly and even ones for serious diseases are dangerous.  Doctors are not taught these things and not about natural choices  and vets are the same.  I would not be so quick to criticize them!  

Also, don't believe everything you see online - just because you read about something online doesn't guarantee it's factual!  

When discussing this with my vet he told me about 2 different dogs he recently had to put down who had heart worm who were being treated by a holistic vet who was giving them some natural things to prevent heartworm so there are pros and cons to everything.  


Of course a vet of conventional medicine will tell you this. He/she will never admit these shots are harmful. 


@apple1964-  All of us who have beloved pets will do what we feel is best for them.

 

However, you are being totally unfair condemning all vets who don't agree with what you've decided for youself.  Not all vets are driven by greed.  And no ethical, conventional vet will deliberately lie about a treatment or an experience with an animal.

 

That's really take it too far.  I have a "conventional medicine" vet for my four cats and I trust him implicitly.  We discuss all courses of treatment; some are state-mandated (rabies) and others are elective.  He is NOT in it for the money.  He's "in it" because he loves animals; he has many of his own.

 

You're doing ethical vets a disservice by trying to lump them all together.  And for me, that lessens your argument.

 

(Just an FYI:  I recently took one of my cats in for surgery.  My vet discovered, while doing the pre-op check, something that made it unnecessary.  He called me and I returned to collect her.  He charged me NOTHINGeople who do not th

 

There is no Need to be nasty or defensive ....I just started this thread to let people know they should explore there options. I am glad you have a vet you can trust and who loves animals.

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,036
Registered: ‎08-07-2013

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......


@KingstonsMom wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

 


@ccassaday wrote:

IF you live in most areas your dog needs heart worm. It’s expensive and horrible for the dog to get treated if they get  We never used tick and flea until last year. They got so bad we had no choice. We tried some natural things and it didnt work. We get lepto because our dog swims in ponds a lot in the summer. So in this area it is pretty much given with their shots every year.


I understand exactly the choices you had to make. Perhaps, do some research on the medications your dog takes. Maybe a lower dosage? Or to do more research on other medications in this regard that do not have the side effects or the health risks  these meds have. Good luck to you and your dog.


We know heartworm preventative is 100% effective. There is no proof any natural remedies work. We are going to try a soresto collar this year instead of chewable tick pills if we have any tick problems. 

 

I will I’ll agree I don’t think the parvo and distemper shot need to be given every year. One they have the puppy shots they probably have immunity and there are no laws that say they must have the shot.  


@ccassaday

 

Not necessarily in all cases.

 

Our sheltie was on on heartworm preventative his entire life and got heartworms anyway.

 

We found out that his breed has a resistance to Ivermectin in heartworm meds.

 

The treatment for the heartworms in asenic and it was horrible.

 

He survived the treatment but had an enlarged heart as a result of the heartworms and we had him tested every year during his physical.

 

We were shocked that #1, he got them anyway and #2, that they did that much damage in a year's time.


I am so sorry to hear that ... This is the kind of things I am talking about. I am so glad your dog is alright.  I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this with all of us. 


@apple1964

 

While he survived the treatment ( at 4 y.o.), we had him another 6 years before he passed away from congestive heart failure from his enlarged heart, at the young age of 10.

 

Those last years he was on heart meds every day.

 

My sweet boy Harley (I have his name & paw print tattooed):

 

PD_0021.JPG


I am so sorry.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,919
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......

@KingstonsMom  Harley was beautiful.  We had an OES that had a seizure after taking IVERMECTIN.  They, too, are one breed that should never take it.  I had to research it on the internet and take the paperwork to our vet.  He had never heard of that before.  BTW it is in the packaging for the meds.  SMH

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,430
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......


@apple1964 wrote:


How can these so called vets sleep at night ..? Greed money? I am beyond angry. 


@apple1964- My previous post was not being nasty.  It was this additional post you made, that made me "defend" all the wonderful vets out there, who trained for as many years as a human doctor. 

 

"So called vets?"  "Greed money"?  "How do they sleep at night?"  For every pet whose life they've saved, for every grateful owner - I'm sure they sleep well.

 

Nothing further to say.