Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Be a step ahead of these vets......

NOt getting the rabies when it is law is just dumb. One dog bite or your dog getting bitten could end up having your dog euthanized.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

IF you live in most areas your dog needs heart worm. It’s expensive and horrible for the dog to get treated if they get  We never used tick and flea until last year. They got so bad we had no choice. We tried some natural things and it didnt work. We get lepto because our dog swims in ponds a lot in the summer. So in this area it is pretty much given with their shots every year.

I understand exactly the choices you had to make. Perhaps, do some research on the medications your dog takes. Maybe a lower dosage? Or to do more research on other medications in this regard that do not have the side effects or the health risks  these meds have. Good luck to you and your dog.

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

NOt getting the rabies when it is law is just dumb. One dog bite or your dog getting bitten could end up having your dog euthanized.  

I never mentioned anything about the rabies shots. That shot is every three years which our dogs get . That shot is the law in our state too. And it is more regulated because it is a state law. And if there is a healther alternative to that shot I will look into that too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

IF you live in most areas your dog needs heart worm. It’s expensive and horrible for the dog to get treated if they get  We never used tick and flea until last year. They got so bad we had no choice. We tried some natural things and it didnt work. We get lepto because our dog swims in ponds a lot in the summer. So in this area it is pretty much given with their shots every year.

I understand exactly the choices you had to make. Perhaps, do some research on the medications your dog takes. Maybe a lower dosage? Or to do more research on other medications in this regard that do not have the side effects or the health risks  these meds have. Good luck to you and your dog.

We know heartworm preventative is 100% effective. There is no proof any natural remedies work. We are going to try a soresto collar this year instead of chewable tick pills if we have any tick problems. 

I will I’ll agree I don’t think the parvo and distemper shot need to be given every year. One they have the puppy shots they probably have immunity and there are no laws that say they must have the shot.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ccassaday wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

We know heartworm preventative is 100% effective. There is no proof any natural remedies work. We are going to try a soresto collar this year instead of chewable tick pills if we have any tick problems. 

I will I’ll agree I don’t think the parvo and distemper shot need to be given every year. One they have the puppy shots they probably have immunity and there are no laws that say they must have the shot.  

DO not tell people that the preventive is 100 effective that is wrong. And I have tried the natural remedies and they work on my dogs and I have five. Also the preventive for heartworm does not completely protect them either and the health risks  horrible. If you want to argue with me go right ahead I am only trying to tell you to educate yourselves with knowledge comes power. Go to wickpedia and it will outline for you what these heart worm pills do and what they do not do. I know and I fully understand the hard choices as animal owners what we need to do. I used to give my dogs these horrible drugs too. Wickpedia has nothing to gain by letting people know what is in these pills the vets will never tell us they are there to make money over money these drugs sadly are not regulated.  Just giving everyone a heads up.  Cause I care so much and I know how much you all love your animals. And I respect all your posts have a good weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

DO not tell people that the preventive is 100 effective that is wrong. And I have tried the natural remedies and they work on my dogs and I have five. Also the preventive for heartworm does not completely protect them either and the health risks  horrible. If you want to argue with me go right ahead I am only trying to tell you to educate yourselves with knowledge comes power. Go to wickpedia and it will outline for you what these heart worm pills do and what they do not do. I know and I fully understand the hard choices as animal owners what we need to do. I used to give my dogs these horrible drugs too. Wickpedia has nothing to gain by letting people know what is in these pills the vets will never tell us they are there to make money over money these drugs sadly are not regulated.  Just giving everyone a heads up.  Cause I care so much and I know how much you all love your animals. And I respect all your posts have a good weekend.

I am talking more with the heartworm. I can see and people having natural work for ticks and fleas.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@ccassaday

Not necessarily in all cases.

Our sheltie was on on heartworm preventative his entire life and got heartworms anyway.

We found out that his breed has a resistance to Ivermectin in heartworm meds.

The treatment for the heartworms in asenic and it was horrible.

He survived the treatment but had an enlarged heart as a result of the heartworms and we had him tested every year during his physical.

We were shocked that #1, he got them anyway and #2, that they did that much damage in a year's time.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@ccassaday

Not necessarily in all cases.

Our sheltie was on on heartworm preventative his entire life and got heartworms anyway.

We found out that his breed has a resistance to Ivermectin in heartworm meds.

The treatment for the heartworms in asenic and it was horrible.

He survived the treatment but had an enlarged heart as a result of the heartworms and we had him tested every year during his physical.

We were shocked that #1, he got them anyway and #2, that they did that much damage in a year's time.

I am so sorry to hear that ... This is the kind of things I am talking about. I am so glad your dog is alright.  I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this with all of us. 

Honored Contributor

@apple1964  everything you said!  Yes.... just like regular doctors who know nothing about nutrition or diet to heal and keep us healthy, vets are also in the same boat.  I go to a vet who believes in natural healing and incorpororates both natural and regular  modalities in his practice as needed.... he is fine with me limiting vacinations( no rabies for my babies)  and does not scold me for that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom, I'm sorry you went through this with your sheltie.  I can imagine that you were shocked your dog contracted heartworm while on meds.  What I'm surprised about is that your vet didn't have your dog on heartworm medication without Ivermectin.  Rough coated collies also have this problem with Ivermectin, but my dogs are on a heartworm medication that does not contain this ingredient.