Honored Contributor

Bathing A Dog In The Tub

[ Edited ]

I bathed Ava (25 lbs.) in the bathtub today.  I put a towel down in the tub and let her stand on that, which is what I did with Frankie, too.  Before that I had long haired dogs that I took to the groomer.  She won't need to be bathed very often.  She was just scratching a little bit, and I thought it might feel good to her to get a bath.

I just use a container to pour warm water on her and suds it up.  Then I pour water on her again to rinse.  I wish I had an attachment for the water like a hose to make it come out stronger. I have to pour and pour and pour to feel like I've rinsed her well enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'd appreciate exact names of what you're recommending if possible.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Bathing A Dog In The Tub

[ Edited ]

We have a hand held shower massager.  Remember those, lol?  They are great for you as well and hoseing down the bath tub when you've cleaned it. 

We're bathing just over 100 pounds American Bulldogs at full growth.  We use shampoo for dry skin and message it in for dry skin.

Skin So Soft from Avon was wonderful!!!!!!  LOVE it!")

Respected Contributor

I do the same as you when I can't do it outside. I had 5 long haired chihuahuas I always bathed in the sink. The only problem I have with the tub is my back hurts. I did have one lady at petco tell me she'd love to bathe and clip my girl nails. I may do that someday. But I understand Ava is nervous around poeple so that wouldn't work. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We have a hand held shower massager.  Remember those, lol?  They are great for you as well and hoseing down the bath tub when you've cleaned it. 

We're bathing just over 100 pounds American Bulldogs at full growth.  We use shampoo for dry skin and message it in for dry skin.

@ECBG   A hand held shower massager would be great.  I don't think it would reach far enough down to bathe Ava though, would it?  She's pretty short.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I do the same as you when I can't do it outside. I had 5 long haired chihuahuas I always bathed in the sink. The only problem I have with the tub is my back hurts. I did have one lady at petco tell me she'd love to bathe and clip my girl nails. I may do that someday. But I understand Ava is nervous around poeple so that wouldn't work. 

@Lali1   Yes, I have a wonderful groomer.  I may take her to him to trim her nails if he'll let me come in the back with her.  I know he would have in the past, but right now they're picking them up in the car and taking them in because of Covid-19.  

I had a friend who helped me with Frankie's nails, but I don't want Ava to associate her with nail trimming.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG   A hand held shower massager would be great.  I don't think it would reach far enough down to bathe Ava though, would it?  She's pretty short.

@NickNack I just checked.  The reach is 2 inches above the drain.  I think it would be fine.Smiley Happy  AND the strength of the spray is adjustable.

Honored Contributor

You can buy an adapter for most kitchen faucets, hook up a garden hose and run it outside where she could have a nice outside bath on a patio or stoop and no mess in the house to clean up.  Just turn her loose when you're finished to shake and dry in the sun....well, that works on a summer day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@NickNack I just checked.  The reach is 2 inches above the drain.  I think it would be fine.Smiley Happy

@ECBG   That really surprises me!  I'll look into those then.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@NickNack 

Check the length of the hose on the shower head.  Some are quite a bit longer than others.  I used to have Lhasa Apsos which are smaller than Ava that I bathed in the bathtub with a shower massage.  It was more than long enough.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack -

Av's bath sounds so nice! What a great Ava's mom you are.

This might sound kind of dumb, but until you find something, you could fill a soda bottle or something similar and hold your thumb over half the top you know like you do when trying to make the hose spray stronger, and pour it over her like that. It still would be soothing and not strong enough to scare her.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"