Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bait & Switch Hearing - Legal Feedback Appreciated

@50Mickey,  no, nothing.  She was to be spayed before I got her but I explained to them I did not want her to go to their "spay mill" and wanted my local vet to do it.  I made a spay appointment, they verified it (it was for the next day) and I brought the dog home. 

I do not know if they did a follow up with my vet to ascertain that I had actually had the procedure performed.  They may have, or not.

The only thing I know for sure is they did a background check to make sure I had not been investigated for and/or charged with animal abuse.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@50Mickey,  no, nothing.  She was to be spayed before I got her but I explained to them I did not want her to go to their "spay mill" and wanted my local vet to do it.  I made a spay appointment, they verified it (it was for the next day) and I brought the dog home. 

I do not know if they did a follow up with my vet to ascertain that I had actually had the procedure performed.  They may have, or not.

The only thing I know for sure is they did a background check to make sure I had not been investigated for and/or charged with animal abuse.

============================

I'm not surprised at this at all.

The shelter I went to does nothing.  It's basically "walk in" and walk out ... with a pet.

We all sat in the lobby and waited our turn to see a "counselor".

One by one, we all walked out with a dog.

Almost every month or every other month they waive all fees so, anyone who wants a pet gets a free one.

They call it "serving the community".

The reality is ... SMH ... I don't think they really "care" about the animals.

The place is run like a dog mill.  Now, I'm on their mailing list and get at least 2 emails a week asking for donations.

I read the online reviews by employees ... SMH ...

I'll be kind and say, I wouldn't want to work there.

The odd thing is, 22 years ago, I did volunteer work there.  I LOVED it.

I was friends with the Director.  He was a nice guy and did a lot for the animals.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:
@Marp wrote:
@50Mickey, I did not have any kind of contract when I adopted my current dog.
Maybe contract isn't the right term. Did they let you take the dog out of the shelter with no written agreement what so ever. Did you not have to agree to have a fenced yard, or to obtain proper medical care for the dog such as vaccinations and to surrender the dog back to the rescue shelter from which you adopted the dog if he needed o be re-homed? If not this seems like a pretty lax rescue shelter. 
I first adopted a kitten in 1984 from the Humane Society. I signed all sorts of paper work agreeing to their terms before I was allowed to take the kitten. Since then I have adopted other kittens and always had paper work listing their responsibilities and mine. With the last 2 kittens that I adopted the paper work even inquired about our income, did we own our home and would we agree to keep the cats strictly indoors. So maybe it is not a legally binding contract but a decent rescue shelter wants to make sure that whoever adopts the animal agrees to properly care for it so it does not end up back on the street.  

Shelters and rescues are two entirely different things.
Shelters are usually run by agencies or municipalities.  They are required to take in stray dogs and usually are only provided the bare minimal funds to fee and house the animals.  When they become full, they either need to beg for adoptions by waiving fees or put the pets down.  There is little screening, basically because they do not have the resources.

Rescues can, and many are, much more selective.  First in the animals they accept into the rescue and then who they choose to adopt them.  A rescue will invest much more time and money into the pet and their fees reflect that.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Game on!

The lying, unscrupulous wimps can't even defend THEMSELVES.

I got a "notice to appear" from the BIGGEST law firm in this city!

My biggest challenge is going to be keeping my mouth shut as soon as the LIES start streaming out of their mouths.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Law Firm Billable hours: $1,950

THIS is how vindictive the shelter is ...

Instead of giving me back my $900, they'd rather pay a big-time Law firm

$1,950 per hour NOT to give me back my money.

The place is run by a bunch of VICIOUS #()#%_@.

Let me do the math ...

This shelter is listed as a 501C (non-profit), yet they'd rather pay someone $2K an hour to not give me my $872.11.

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Game on!

The lying, unscrupulous wimps can't even defend THEMSELVES.

I got a "notice to appear" from the BIGGEST law firm in this city!

My biggest challenge is going to be keeping my mouth shut as soon as the LIES start streaming out of their mouths.

You received a "Notice to Appear" in small claims court from a law firm?

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@paixmcdao wrote:

You received a "Notice to Appear" in small claims court from a law firm?

=================================================

"Notice to Appear" - those are my words.  I simplified it because not everyone knows legal terminology.

The proper terminology is "Praecipe to Enter Appearance".

In other words, the vicious shelter crooks won't be there.

They're not going to be there because they can't defend themselves and because they KNOW what they did was wrong.

They're paying a lawyer $2K/hour to be there instead.

This is a 501C "Non-Profit" ... 

Yep.  Small claims "civil" court ...
They're doing this because some old woman (me) made a conditional adoption agreement with the shelter to get a 10-day supply of Clavamox with a dog she was adopting which had a "common" (as per the shelter) Upper Respiration Infection. 

Get it?  The medicine came with the dog.

AFTER I paid the adoption fee, the counselor lied and told me the dog was "fine" and did not need antibiotics.  *An argument ensued, the details of which I will not go into here.*

The dog was not "fine".
Within 3 days, that lie cost me $700.

My total expenditure was $872.11

So here we are ...

EDIT:
I didn't post ALL the details ... about how they BULLIED me and sent an Officer to my house to intimidate and scare me AFTER I'd covered the expenses they reneged on.

These people are -b-a-d-.
You should see the employee reviews I found online ...
 "Upper mgmnt. makes 6 figures but lower-level employees need food stamps."
"If you don't kiss @$$, they'll fire you."

These people are greedy ... and dirty!
IMHO, what they did to me was unethical.

Who would do this?

What kind of "non-profit" animal group would do this?

So mean!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]
@RinaRina

The notice to the court only means that the shelter is being represented by counsel, and has nothing to do with whether any of the employees will be there. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

Law firm likely represents the shelter pro bono for these nuisance claims.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

"A praecipe for appearance is just a formal notice to the court that an attorney is representing a particular party."

My guess is that you will be asked to explain to the Court why you took possession of the dog who was sick and without the medication you were promised.