Valued Contributor

Baby Squirrel season is upon Us, Anyone else do rescues

Baby squirrel season is  here.  We already have high winds and rains for the next couple of days, in Florida.  I am prepared with correct food, syringes, nipples and rice in socks for even heat.  Anyone else do rescues?  We could share tips.IMG_1775 (1).JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Baby Squirrel season is upon Us, Anyone else do rescues

@Fiero Woman-

I have seen a baby squirrel here.

I think you are amazing. You must have been appointed by a special squirrel protector to help and take care of them.

Not many do what you do. That is something, really!

I'm sure the squirrels have let each other know, you are the one that loves them!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

My rescue who comes to forage on organic whole wheat grass.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I rescue anything that needs me. I keep them safe & feed them til I can get them to our local wildlife reserve.  We’ve had squirrels, lots of birds, possums, anything I can get before my outside cats do. 

When I did have squirrels, I had to research what to feed them. What do you use?

Love that picture and thank you for doing rescues!

Valued Contributor

@on the bay  Orphaned squirrels take a lot of work, 4 hour feedings like a baby and must be kept warm at all times.  I mostly get them from tree trimmers and my brother found my flying squirrel, Sky, my Avatar.  I love when they are released, what a joy.  Warms my heart.

Respected Contributor

We have a yard full of rabbits, large and small! Also squirrels-our dog Red loses his lil' pea brain over pesky squirrels in his yard.

Valued Contributor

@Renata22  Thanks.  Any tips for baby greys, special foods.  I do Henry's protein blocks and keep them available for rescues who are released.  They love mushrooms, fruits, calcium coated crickets - yuk, and broccoli and brussel sprouts - don't know what but they love the stronger smelling veggies and of course pecans and the occasional peanut.  Also scrambled eggs in coconut oil.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22 and @Fiero Woman-

You both are very special people!

Image result for pictures of squirrels, chipmunks, possums

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Sky, flyer, is different, an omnivore, loves meat and those live meal worms, boiled chicken and scrambled eggs.  Otherwise she eats the same as the greys but is nocturnal - I stay up to play with her.

Valued Contributor

Is a chipmonk witth the grey?  Adorable.