Honored Contributor

Baby Robin with broken wing

[ Edited ]

I am looking for suggestions - my husband discovered a baby robin on our front lawn. It is right below a large tree. My husband says it has a broken wing. He took pictures of it. You can see the wing isn't right.

Not sure what to do. I don't want to go out and look at it because I figure it is scared enough. But on the other hand I don't want to just leave it sitting on the ground. There are a few cats in the neighborhood that hunt.

PS  - There doesn't seem to be a Mom around. The bird has been all by itself since we discovered it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Baby Robin with broken wing

I wonder if there are any animal rescue groups in your area?

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla  

why don't you google wildlife rehabilitators?  There may be one locally that specializes in birds.  Also, call a local vet and ask them who to contact.  Also, you can call local animal shelters and see if they have suggestions and a contact for you.  Someone or all of them will have suggestions for you as to how to keep the little bird safe from the neighborhood cats, etc.

Good luck!  Keep us posted......

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I wonder if there are any animal rescue groups in your area?

Yes, there is a wildlife rescue. It handles 5,000 patients a year. Guess I can call them.

Regular Contributor

Poor baby! please keep us updated @drizzellla

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Ark (wildlife rescue) said to try and get the bird back into the nest. We have a bird house on the tree - not sure if he fell out of the bird house or a nest higher up in the tree. They were saying the wing might not be broken - just in an odd position after falling.

I just went out and looked at him and his wings seemed to be against his body.

The hole for the bird house is rather small. My husband said he would try and put the bird back into the birdhouse.

Still wondering where his parents are. I am not sure if it is a robin. 

PS - Thank you, Mother Nature. Just went out to move him and he was gone. And I know the cats did not get him because we would have seen them. So guess the little guy got his strength to fly. 

Trusted Contributor

Bless you for caring. ♥

Honored Contributor

I don't know who was more excited. My husband did not want to try and put the bird back into the birdhouse. The hole was small and he was afraid of hurting the bird trying to get it back in. Plus, we were not sure if the little guy fell out of the birdhouse or a nest higher up in the tree.

Nothing like having come home from a day of foraging for food and finding a strange bird in your house.

Trusted Contributor

I was afraid to open this thread, glad i did Smiley Happy All is well that ends well!! 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  Robins don't use bird houses.  Please don't put the robin in there.  It will have a nest in a tree.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau