Honored Contributor

Re: BEAGLES WANTED FOR TESTING!!! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

@abbalulu wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

We were contacted by The University of North Carolina at State College...famous vet shcool...that they need beagles for testing. The AKC obviously makes their list available of particular breed owners. 

Beagles are free of most inherent diseases and are often chosen for these projects. This time they are working on preventing cancer in dogs. There is no cruelty involved and they don't keep the dogs. The beagles' blood is drawn on a regular basis and you just take them home. There is no harm done to the dog and only a small amount of blood is needed each visit. 

Molly and I discussed it and she's interested in helping her fellow canines. We'll be beginning our trips to Raleigh next month so Molly can donate her blood. She would be of particular interest because she 8 yrs. old and not a puppy. 

@Shanus  Having had two of our last three dogs die from cancer please tell Molly thank you from me and my husband.

Beagles are cute and Snoopy is a beagle too!

I have always been told that they are wanderers though, but I have been tempted by their cute faces; and they are a perfect size-not too big and not too small.

@abbalulu  All scent dogs/hounds will follow their noses...instinct. I've had beagles all my life, even when I was a kid at home. It's important that you train them well and best if they have a fenced area to play. Molly has the side yard fenced when she goes out her "potty door", but we also have the property safe w/ an invisible fence. Molly wears a sensor collar to prevent her from accidently going out the front door during deliveries from the pizza guy. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus Thank you so much for your willingness to share your baby Molly with the dog world!!  She will help to make a substantial contribution to the big "C" and for that you can both be proud.  Many thanks to you and Molly for your service.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols wrote:

@Shanus Thank you so much for your willingness to share your baby Molly with the dog world!!  She will help to make a substantial contribution to the big "C" and for that you can both be proud.  Many thanks to you and Molly for your service.

@Boomernichols   Molly was reluctant at first when we discussed it. She had seen the news reports about the beagles that were kept in crates forever and how they had to get used to being free again. I explained that's not the way this test is done and they just want a little blood sample like when she goes to the vet for her checkup. She agreed it was a worthy cause, so I signed her up. 

Respected Contributor

Maybe if they cleaned up the environment no one would get cancer, ya think?