Honored Contributor

BEAGLES WANTED FOR TESTING!!! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

[ Edited ]

We were contacted by The University of North Carolina at State College...famous vet shcool...that they need beagles for testing. The AKC obviously makes their list available of particular breed owners. 

Beagles are free of most inherent diseases and are often chosen for these projects. This time they are working on preventing cancer in dogs. There is no cruelty involved and they don't keep the dogs. The beagles' blood is drawn on a regular basis and you just take them home. There is no harm done to the dog and only a small amount of blood is needed each visit. 

Molly and I discussed it and she's interested in helping her fellow canines. We'll be beginning our trips to Raleigh next month so Molly can donate her blood. She would be of particular interest because she 8 yrs. old and not a puppy. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BEAGLES WANTED FOR TESTING!!! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

@Shanus, Three cheers for Molly!  A mostly unsung hero,  but a great hero nonetheless.

Regular Contributor

North Carolina is doing a study with the Univ of Wisconsin vet school, thet my Beagles have been involved in, relating to bladder cancer. I had to send in urine samples and received a report back. If they had shown signs of cancer I would have to take them to Univ of Wisconsin vet school for more testing. They did not find any indications of cancer. I did receive an email about a follow up study to this. 

Respected Contributor

Good for Molly, for putting a paw forward. I think controlled studies that are trauma free for animals is a step forward. 

I know some universities have stopped (in house) canine lab studies, after concluding that dogs have the emotions and ability to process their environment, equal to that of a human two year old, or above. Finally, but all animals are smarter than most give them credit for. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   Didn't know beagles were so lucky.  I do hope the study helps find info helpful to other breeds.  Thanks for participating.

Honored Contributor

@Josmad wrote:

North Carolina is doing a study with the Univ of Wisconsin vet school, thet my Beagles have been involved in, relating to bladder cancer. I had to send in urine samples and received a report back. If they had shown signs of cancer I would have to take them to Univ of Wisconsin vet school for more testing. They did not find any indications of cancer. I did receive an email about a follow up study to this. 

@Josmad   This particular study is to find out why dogs (all breeds) get cancer and some not. I assume they're looking for markers in healthy dogs (beagles). Aren't beagles great dogs? Perfect size, temperment, great w/ kids & those ears!!

Regular Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Josmad wrote:

@Josmad   This particular study is to find out why dogs (all breeds) get cancer and some not. I assume they're looking for markers in healthy dogs (beagles). Aren't beagles great dogs? Perfect size, temperment, great w/ kids & those ears!!

Yes they are great dogs. i've been working with a beagle rescue for 10 years And I've had 25 fosters over the past 5 years.  

When our group did a Puppy-up event in Madison 2 years ago, we talked to some of the vets at the Univ of Wisconsin-Madison and they said they are pretty sure that bladder cancer in Beagles is from lawn chemicals.  I know when they were looking for dogs, for the study, that my dogs did there was a list of about 8-10 breeds they were studing. 

Honored Contributor

It is odd that you have to take your Pup to them.

They accept blood taken at your Vet's office and sent to them.  Blood needs no refrigeration or ice to preserve it.

I have Cavaliers and they are always having trials with this breed.  If they need your dog in person, I wonder why.  They must want more than blood.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

We were contacted by The University of North Carolina at State College...famous vet shcool...that they need beagles for testing. The AKC obviously makes their list available of particular breed owners. 

Beagles are free of most inherent diseases and are often chosen for these projects. This time they are working on preventing cancer in dogs. There is no cruelty involved and they don't keep the dogs. The beagles' blood is drawn on a regular basis and you just take them home. There is no harm done to the dog and only a small amount of blood is needed each visit. 

Molly and I discussed it and she's interested in helping her fellow canines. We'll be beginning our trips to Raleigh next month so Molly can donate her blood. She would be of particular interest because she 8 yrs. old and not a puppy. 

@Shanus  Having had two of our last three dogs die from cancer please tell Molly thank you from me and my husband.

Beagles are cute and Snoopy is a beagle too!

I have always been told that they are wanderers though, but I have been tempted by their cute faces; and they are a perfect size-not too big and not too small.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

@Josmad wrote:

Univ. of Wisc. has an awesome vet school. We took our dog there for chemo,she was in a clinical trial,  and they have the kindest most caring people there. They are doing wonderful work and we try to support them as much as we can.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx