Honored Contributor

Re: Ava's Vet Appointment Today

@NickNack 

I'm so glad Ava felt comfortable. And that she appears to be in perfect health. And that she and Henry are making a start at getting along. Is it a trifecta? I suppose you could say yes, or at least, almost.

Is there a small snack both Ava and Henry would like? At times when I had two dogs, and especially when they were new to each other, I'd give them each a tiny piece, one at a time, and say, "One for Ava, one for Henry, one for Ava, one for Henry" and go on as long as the treats hold out. 

I've not tried this with a cat and a dog, but since they're already on the bed at the same time, maybe it will add to their respect for each other.

You could even add "One for Mom" if it's something like a bit of apple. (Although I doubt a cat would like apple, but you see what I mean.) This gets trickier with a cat included!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack : 

The soothing bath should do the trick. 

If not, get a pet shampoo with oatmeal in it; helps itchiness (in humans, too).

Honored Contributor

@NickNack      So happy the vet exam went so well!  Now it will just be time to let Ava heal and know she is safe. That could take 6 months or more. She will be like a different dog by then... Love your updates!Heart

Respected Contributor

Wonderful news! So glad things are falling into place for you all. 

Esteemed Contributor

So what caused the bleeding from the mouth onto that bone?

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

So what caused the bleeding from the mouth onto that bone?

@Sammycat1   The Vet said that the Nylabone was probably too hard for her.  I looked at the packaging (I bought a pack of 3), and it said for Extreme Chewers.  She told me to get her a flexi nylabone, which I ordered yesterday.

I think the "blood" I saw on the floor in the kitchen was from Henry.  He has weepy eyes, and he shakes his head and gets little brown drops on the floor.  The blood on the Nylabone must have been the only blood from Ava's mouth.  

She said the hard Nylabones were too hard for a lot of dogs.

I'll look for an update on Frankie.  I hope she's doing better today.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

That's good on Ava's teeth!  I'm glad she had a positive pet report.

Frankie improves with weird additional things happening every day, but this is a very long recovery (if ever) process, so we try to adapt and make her comfortable until her next two vet visits.