Honored Contributor

Ava's Ultrasound Today

[ Edited ]

I've been posting about Ava's problems with vomiting and now, diarrhea, too, as of today.  My Vet referred her to the Animal Specialty Center for an ultrasound today.  The Vet said that there was noticeable thickening of her stomach wall.  He said that could be a result of the vomiting, or the vomiting could be because of that.  He wants her to see the Internal Medicine Vet there for evaluation and most likely, for an endoscopy the same day.  Her appointment is next Thursday.  She will have to spend the night.  That worries me for her, because she is so nervous and afraid when she's there.  She pants loudly the entire time and didn't stop until we'd been home at least 30 minutes.  They even gave her a sedative there.

I asked him what he thought was wrong with her, and he said if he had to guess he would say she has Inflammatory Bowel Disease.  Does anyone here have a dog that has had this?  Was it managed by diet?  I'm just now looking up articles about it. 

It sounds like a special diet is required, and that the dog has to stay on each diet they try for 6 - 8 weeks before switching.  I just hate for Ava to be feeling so bad.   The Vet today said to keep her on the Cerenia until her appt. next week.  The good news is that he had her blood work results back from yesterday, and everything looked very good.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Awww, poor Ava, poor you having to worry about her. Here's hoping Thursday rolls around quickly for you and the vets get to the bottom of her problem and fix it pronto.

Honored Contributor

Just want to say ,your a good mom.Heart

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack   As you know, I am a Cavalier lover.  I have noticed that this breed has a of tummy and digestive issues.  I am at the Vet's a few times a year for bloody diarrhea that pretty scary for me.  It makes me nervous.

I usually get a prescription and some probiotics and all is well, but I still worry when it happens again.

I hope your poor Ava gets some relief soon.  I am sure it's not fun for her or for you.

As an aside....I can't help but wonder if Ava's breeder knew she was having problems before you got her.  I could be wrong, but the question is still in the back of my mind.  

After your tragic loss of Frankie, you really don't need this worry about another dog.  I hope Ava is able to recover and live the rest of her life in a healthy manner.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack I am sorry that Ava is still experiencing stomach issues.  I had a dog that developed pancreatitis and it was a diet issue for life.  I hope that the internist vet will be able to get Ava straightened out and restored to her perky self.  You are a good momma and I will continue to lift you up in prayer for comfort. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@NickNack   As you know, I am a Cavalier lover.  I have noticed that this breed has a of tummy and digestive issues.  I am at the Vet's a few times a year for bloody diarrhea that pretty scary for me.  It makes me nervous.

I usually get a prescription and some probiotics and all is well, but I still worry when it happens again.

I hope your poor Ava gets some relief soon.  I am sure it's not fun for her or for you.

As an aside....I can't help but wonder if Ava's breeder knew she was having problems before you got her.  I could be wrong, but the question is still in the back of my mind.  

After your tragic loss of Frankie, you really don't need this worry about another dog.  I hope Ava is able to recover and live the rest of her life in a healthy manner.

@Carmie   Thank you.  I can understand why you say that about Ava's breeder.  I have all of her Vet records, though, and nothing like this was ever mentioned.  Also, she texts me about her all the time and follows me on Facebook.

I really think she genuinely wanted a good home for Ava where she could blossom without a lot of other dogs around.  She knew all about me losing Frankie, and I really don't think she would have given me a sick dog on purpose.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

I've had dogs and cats with this. Treated with meds, supplements and diets. Wait for the endoscopy and final bloodwork, though. Hang in there.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ava's Ultrasound orrToday

@NickNack , sorry all this is going,   so stressful for your dog, and you too.  I think my daughters dog had inflammatory bowel...thats the one I told you about that I took in.  She kept her on regular dog food with limited ingredients.  When I got her,  she did well on Taste of The Wild, Salmon.   We also fed very very slowly, small handfuls at a time, because she gulped it down.  But I don't think that made much of a difference, because she already had these problems.   I sure hope you get this resolved quickly and find ways to reduce stress for her, especially being at the vet so often.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

I've had dogs and cats with this. Treated with meds, supplements and diets. Wait for the endoscopy and final bloodwork, though. Hang in there.

@Sammycat1   I'm glad you were able to treat it.  I'm trying not to jump the gun in thinking it's IBD.  He did say that he thinks it's inflammatory and probably IBD.  I wish our appointment was sooner than next Thursday.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

That's why I said what for all the tests are in, Frankie, for example, was thought to have IBD only but it ended up being triad it is...intestinal, liver and pancreas with some reflux. One dog we had focused mostly on the intestinal tract.

Earlier I wrote what I wrote because she sounded like some of our pets.

Let the science work it out thoroughly without driving yourself crazy looking things up. Get that diagnosis first.