Honored Contributor

Last weekend Ava didn't eat her breakfast one day.  The next day was fine, but at least three or four times she has skipped breakfast since then.

This morning she ate her breakfast, and a couple of hours later threw all of it up.  I mentioned to my Vet the last time I saw her that Ava was throwing up bile sometimes in the morning before breakfast.  She said to give her Pepcid AC in the morning and night, which I've been doing.

I'm taking her to the Vet tomorrow.  I wonder if she needs to be on omeprazole or something like that instead of Pepcid.  I also think I should probably switch her to a food for sensitive stomachs (not a prescription diet).  Blue Buffalo has one called Blissful Belly.  Wellness has one, and so does Purina Pro Plan's Focus line.  Normally I wouldn't consider Purina, but Dog Food Advisor gives their Focus line four stars.  She eats Fromm Gold right now.  

I'm anxious to hear what my Vet suggests for her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Hope all goes well with your Ava's checkup tomorrow. Poor baby. Keep us posted.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope everything works out.  Have you heard of Farmer's Dog food? It is all natural. Let us know what happens.  Take care of yourself. 

Esteemed Contributor

Awww,I'm sorry your baby is having tummy problems.

I always heard that when they throwup bile in the AM it is because their tummy is empty and they are hungry.

I don't usually do anythnig for it but feed them........

I use Pepsid ,not for this but for things like diaraha.It works for us.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Awww,I'm sorry your baby is having tummy problems.

I always heard that when they throwup bile in the AM it is because their tummy is empty and they are hungry.

I don't usually do anythnig for it but feed them........

I use Pepsid ,not for this but for things like diaraha.It works for us.

Thank you @MalteseMomma   I used to wait an hour after we got up to feed her, because that's when I ate.  That's when she would throw up bile.  My Vet said to give her Pepcid at night with a little food so she wouldn't be so hungry, and that helped a lot.

What she threw up this moring was a lot of food.  It seemed like it was her entire breakfast.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Ava's Tummy

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

I hope everything works out.  Have you heard of Farmer's Dog food? It is all natural. Let us know what happens.  Take care of yourself. 

Thank you @elated   I've seen Farmer's Dog food advertised.  When I got Ava 3 1/2 mos. ago her breeder was feeding her dry food with Fresh Pet mixed in.  I did that for a long time but thought it would be complicated if I ever needed to board her.  It was also very expensive.

I just went to Farmer's Dog's website, and you can't get any information on the price without giving them your email address.  I would rather try something else first, but if I need to go to fresh food I will.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ava's Tummy

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  Snickers is on Purina Focus pro plan small breed sensitive  skin & stomach, salmon & rice formula. 
  She doesnt have trouble throwing up but sometimes doesn't want to eat breakfast or until later.

My Krypto and another Jack Russell I had both would occasionally throw up bile in the morning. So I still give Snickers a few pieces of dry food before bed. I've also tried cottage cheese & yogurt. 
  Since she's 7 I put a few spoons of Purina bright mind in her food. Krypto who was 16 liked it & I think it may have helped him.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  I hope Ava gets a good report tomorrow.  My boy is 15 and has issues with throwing up periodically also.  He is currently on Hill's Science diet z/d and still has an occassional upset.  I will be interested to hear what they do for Ava, good luck.

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone.  After throwing up her entire breakfast I put her supper out for her and she didn't eat it.  I'll leave it out in case she wants it later and will try to give her a few bites with her Pepcid tonight.  I'm so glad we have an appointment tomorrow.  I would hate to go the whole weekend without seeing a Vet.  I wouldn't want to have to take her to the ER.  I'm not even sure the ER lets the owners come in with their pets right now.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Best of luck with the vet.

Several of my dogs, and cats, had problems with food ingredients.  One of them practically did on a countdown.  I moved them all to simpler foods.