Honored Contributor

Ava's Thyroid Test Results

[ Edited ]

My Vet called today and said that Ava's hypothyroid test was negative.  The next step is to rule out Cushing's disease.  She's awfully young for Cushing's disease, and I don't think my Vet thinks that's what she has.  We have to rule it out, though, because it would need to be treated.

I'm bringing her in next Wednesday morning and leaving her for the ACHT test for Cushing's disease.  If it isn't Cushing's we will assume it's just alopecia, which is only a cosmetic issue.  We can treat it with melatonin.  Frankie had seasonal flank alopecia, and her hair grew back when taking melatonin.

I so hope it isn't Cushing's.  I will be surprised if it is.

@Silver Lining  you asked about Ava's results in the other thread, so I wanted to make sure you saw this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ava's Thyroid Test Results

@NickNack , here your e-friends from QVC are indeed asking God for healing Miss Ava with comfort and to strenghten your adorable child Miss Ava on any illness she may have!

Miss Ava has became the marscot on QVC!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dinaki wrote:

@NickNack , here your e-friends from QVC are indeed asking God for healing Miss Ava with comfort and to strenghten your adorable child Miss Ava on any illness she may have!

Miss Ava has became the marscot on QVC!

Thank you very much @Dinaki .  Since it wasn't hypothyroidism I'm really thinking and hoping that it's just alopecia, which is only cosmetic.

My sister had a dog that had Cushing's, and it was managed very well.  I just hope that's not what Ava has though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

The quest continues!  I'm sure your vet will get to the bottom of it, frustrating though the process might be.  Ava has a good dog mama.

Respected Contributor

Fingers crossed NickNack  🤞 I'm sorry the results weren't conclusive as to what it is. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the update on Ava's condition. Hope it is all resolved soon and easily treatable. Prayers and best wishes for sweet Ava.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

My Vet called today and said that Ava's hypothyroid test was negative.  The next step is to rule out Cushing's disease.  She's awfully young for Cushing's disease, and I don't think my Vet thinks that's what she has.  We have to rule it out, though, because it would need to be treated.

I'm bringing her in next Wednesday morning and leaving her for the ACHT test for Cushing's disease.  If it isn't Cushing's we will assume it's just alopecia, which is only a cosmetic issue.  We can treat it with melatonin.  Frankie had seasonal flank alopecia, and her hair grew back when taking melatonin.

I so hope it isn't Cushing's.  I will be surprised if it is.

@Silver Lining  you asked about Ava's results in the other thread, so I wanted to make sure you saw this.

@NickNack 

Thank you. I was hoping for the report to say it's something like hypothyroidism and easily treatable. "We" will find out soon. I didn't know melatonin has been successfully used for hair growth.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  Glad to hear that Ava's thyroid test was negative, and I hope that it will be the same for Cushing's.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@NickNack  I am actually glad it's not hypothyroidism, as that can be a little tricky to treat in some ways, but I also hope it isn't Typical Cushing's.  Atypical Cushing's and Alopecia X are both much easier to treat, and the UT lab your vet uses can test for all of those disorders, thankfully.  Continuing the good wishes for Ava!

Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

I'm so glad this test proved negative.

I'm sending up many prayers that Sweet Ava doesn't have Cushings.  Please give her a get-well hug from me.

.. and, of course to Sweet Henry .. just for being him.

I hope you have a pleasant weekend & good best of luck with next week's test.