Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Have her thyroid and Vit D labs checked.  

That would explain the loss of hair with no itching.  The areas do not look inflamed or irritated so that is good!  

@Abrowneyegirl   She just had complete blood work done a couple of weeks ago, and everything looked good.  That would have included thyroid but I'm not sure about Vitamin D.  I'll ask about that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack 

Hello,

Poor Ava, poor you!

As with humans, some of the results of stress do not show up for a few weeks, such as hair loss.

Honestly, it looks like a 'hot spot' to me too, what we call a 'lick granulamoa'..  Somethings gets irritated, so they lick it, and lick it, and lick it.  Not helpful as to WHY though.  Are her foot pads OK?  Not hot, chewed...?  

I have always treated with light steroid shot, and done watchful waiting for a week or two.

If she's on the same food she had been eating with breeder, food allergy seems unlikely.  Is she on the ground, grass more than previously?  Could be a grass allergy, or pollen.  I would treat the symptoms to clear up, and see if it comes back, as it might just be 'move stress.'

If it does come back, time to do a bit more aggressive investigating.

So Glad she and Henry had a nose BUMP!

@Drythe   I'll have to look at the pads on her feet.  I'm still feeding the FreshPet refrigerated food that the breeder gave her, but I've changed her kibble to Fromm.  The breeder fed her ProPlan Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach Lamb & Oatmeal.  She didn't seem to like it, and I felt like Fromm was a better food, so I switched.  I asked the breeder if she had sensitive skin or a stomach issue, and she said no.  She said one of her other dogs did, and she wanted to feed them all the same food.  I do wonder if that could be it.  I hate to switch her back to a food she didn't like though.

If the Vet thinks the food could be it, I could switch her to a Fromm formula with lamb I guess. 

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Ava's Hair Loss

[ Edited ]

The bottom picture would concern me ,i would get her to the vet. I would like to say ,i feed farmina dry with grains, they have grain free also .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

The bottom picture would concern me ,i would get her to the vet. I would like to say ,i feed farmina dry with grains, they have grain free also .

@goldensrbest   She has a Vet appointment Friday morning.  If we can't get this turned around quickly I will take her to the dermatologist.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Looks like hot spots.  My Pinky had those,  she licked/scratched and made them worse.  I used a powder the vet gave, also sprayed Vetricin but that didnt help much.  Spots eventually resolved.

It's not a life threatening issue. Hope Ava gets better soon.  She's a cutie.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

That would explain the loss of hair with no itching.  The areas do not look inflamed or irritated so that is good!  

@Abrowneyegirl   She just had complete blood work done a couple of weeks ago, and everything looked good.  That would have included thyroid but I'm not sure about Vitamin D.  I'll ask about that.

Traditional vets do not usually run these labs unless you specifically ask.  I had one vet who told me I was crazy and refused to run them.

I found a new vet (not hard in my area) and sure enough.......

a few supplements later her coat is better than ever.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Traditional vets do not usually run these labs unless you specifically ask.  I had one vet who told me I was crazy and refused to run them.

@Abrowneyegirl   I just checked her blood work, and you are correct.  She did not run thyroid or Vit. D on those tests.  I have put that on my list of things to ask her.  I know she will run them if I ask.  Thank you very much for suggesting this.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

One of my dogs ,kooper when he was young ,he got nasty hot spots,within hours they would spread, his looked much worse than that picture,i don't think that is what that is,could be allergy,or stress,or food.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   I just checked her blood work, and you are correct.  She did not run thyroid or Vit. D on those tests.  I have put that on my list of things to ask her.  I know she will run them if I ask.  Thank you very much for suggesting this.

@Abrowneyegirl   I think you're probably right about the thyroid problem.  I just looked up symptoms of thyroid disease in dogs.  One of them is hair loss, and another is failure to regrow hair where the dog was clipped.  Ava never regrew her hair after her spay surgery in March 2019.  She doesn't have any of the other symptoms of thyroid problems but does have these two.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest   She has a Vet appointment Friday morning.  If we can't get this turned around quickly I will take her to the dermatologist.

@NickNack 

Years ago I had a sweet girl named Scout.  Scout had issues for which I took her to our Vet School to see the dermatologist.  To my surprise, the dermatologist was my own dermatologist!  I had no idea.

We had a good laugh, she said we could have just come to her regular office.  She was a real dog lover.  Anyway I had to start feeding Scout Lamb and Rice, which she ate for the rest of her life.  I had to cook for her, as at that time no one was making dog food of that type.

Next time I saw my dermatologist she asked about Scout, I told her all was good, except that Scout snorted up the rice grains while eating, and puffed them out around the house.  She said, “Woops, I forgot to tell you to use cheap clumpy rice!”

Best Wishes to you all.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras