Respected Contributor

Re: Ava's Follow-Up Vet Appointment

@NickNack ...i see your on top of everything concerning her health.   This can be tricky.   I had dog that had food issues from the get go, seemed sensitive stomach,  and throwing up at times.  She was said to have gastro intestinal problems,  but sadly by age 7, she was diagnosed with lymphoma.  Never had any signs before.  Now, we have Gabriel,  my Lab, also a very bad start with digestive issues and diarrhea,  and it really turned out nothing serious,  or terminal.  He did go on prescription diet and a probiotic paste, but only temporarily until his symptoms subsided.  His was all do to a very poor start in life, i wont go into here.  Im just saying,  most times its nothing serious, and diet may help, but if it continues, after you try several switches, be on the alert( I believe you are) Just my experience.   Sorry your dealing with this. 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack ...i see your on top of everything concerning her health.   This can be tricky.   I had dog that had food issues from the get go, seemed sensitive stomach,  and throwing up at times.  She was said to have gastro intestinal problems,  but sadly by age 7, she was diagnosed with lymphoma.  Never had any signs before.  Now, we have Gabriel,  my Lab, also a very bad start with digestive issues and diarrhea,  and it really turned out nothing serious,  or terminal.  He did go on prescription diet and a probiotic paste, but only temporarily until his symptoms subsided.  His was all do to a very poor start in life, i wont go into here.  Im just saying,  most times its nothing serious, and diet may help, but if it continues, after you try several switches, be on the alert( I believe you are) Just my experience.   Sorry your dealing with this. 

@Dazlin   I'm so sorry you lost your dog to lymphoma.  Seven years old is way too young.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Does she through up food or yellor or clear bile.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinker Toy    Saturday was the only day that she threw up so profusely five times.  A lot of it was food and a lot of it was just blobs of mucous.  It wasn't bile.

In the couple of weeks before this she threw up bile in the morning a few times.  When I started giving her Pepcid twice a day that seemed to help.  Then she started skipping breakfast and refusing to eat it. 

On Saturday she threw up all of her breakfast and I called the Vet.  After returning from the Vet is when she threw up five times.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I am wishing Ava health and wellness. I remember she was having skin issues not to long ago. She has been having a bumpy road with her health. I hope she has been able to eat her food and her skin problem has healed. 

Henry is adorable and I liked the picture you posted with your niece's dog.  It is tough being an animal parent because they can't talk and tell us how they feel. I wish you and your family the best. Keep us updated about Ava.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

I am wishing Ava health and wellness. I remember she was having skin issues not to long ago. She has been having a bumpy road with her health. I hope she has been able to eat her food and her skin problem has healed. 

Henry is adorable and I liked the picture you posted with your niece's dog.  It is tough being an animal parent because they can't talk and tell us how they feel. I wish you and your family the best. Keep us updated about Ava.

Thank you @elated .  Ava has been taking melatonin for her hair loss, and it has completely grown back.  I'm happy about that.

So far so good with her prescription diet.  She seems to really like it and hasn't thrown up again.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , thank you!!  She was youngest daughter's dog while she was in college and we took her in because she couldn't be alone so much.  As for the lymphoma,  she never had any signs, but we did have to surgically remove a cancerous tumor at at age 3, then nothing concerning until age 7.  She did throw up alot though.  One weekend she wouldn't eat.  So I checked her over and found enlarged lymph glands on her neck and hind legs, size of golf balls.   She died 5 days later after seeing the vet.  Most saddest sight ive ever witnessed. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you everyone for caring about Ava.  So far so good today.  She had two meals yesterday and ate breakfast today.  She seems to really like the prescription diet, but I really don't want her to have to stay on it after she finishes this 8 1/2 lb. bag.  Maybe this incident won't happen again.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you everyone for caring about Ava.  So far so good today.  She had two meals yesterday and ate breakfast today.  She seems to really like the prescription diet, but I really don't want her to have to stay on it after she finishes this 8 1/2 lb. bag.  Maybe this incident won't happen again.

I am glad Ava is doing good. I was just curious as to why you don't want her to remain on the dog food if she is not throwing up. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , im thinking she wont have to stay on it...from my experience, the prescription food can help to settle a temporary disorder like a digestive problem.  Then you may be able to wean her off.   I think you have said in past you give probiotics, ??...maybe incorporate that as well.   Ive done all that for Gabriel, and probiotics paste from the vet to settle diarrhea....then i just added my choice of probiotics for his 1st year.  I also looked into immune boosters, and again, probiotics came up, which i did..  and I gave him Wild salmon oil.   Hes 2 now and fantastico...however I find hes best on Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream Salmon.  I no longer add any supplements, except K9 glucosamine, for his broken hip.