Respected Contributor

Re: Ava's Follow-Up Vet Appointment

@NickNack I am so glad that your baby got a good report.  It can be stressful and upsetting not knowing what is going on with our beloved family.  Perhaps this new diet will calm everything down and the bland diet will heal the gut for a happy tummy!  My boy, Toby Snow, is 15 and has to eat Hills Science diet in z/d dry formula.  Good luck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@MalteseMomma 

I SO agree!

We had a similar problem and it turned out to be completely diet related, they needed a prescription food).

I would trust my Vet, assuming you use a Vet that you trust (which I know @NickNack does, as to when blood work is necessary, eliminating other causes first.

ETA: As long as the condition isn't serious or critical.

Yes @KingstonsMom .  I completely trust my Vet.  My Vet Clinic has the reputation of being the best Vets in town, and we have a lot of Vets. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack    Did they do a sonogram or just an Xray?  My Golden Lola was vomiting  etc....and the Xray did not show anything  also......but they decided to do a sonogram  which is more thorough... and saw she had a mass in her liver. The Xray did not show that....

I am not telling you this to upset you or compare your sweet pup to Lola's situation, but, it might be good to do a  sonogram and rule out anything  that the Xray does not show. 

@SeaMaiden   I had forgotten that she said that we would do an ultrasound next.  She said they could see things on an ultrasound that couldn't be seen on x-rays.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack    Did they do a sonogram or just an Xray?  My Golden Lola was vomiting  etc....and the Xray did not show anything  also......but they decided to do a sonogram  which is more thorough... and saw she had a mass in her liver. The Xray did not show that....

I am not telling you this to upset you or compare your sweet pup to Lola's situation, but, it might be good to do a  sonogram and rule out anything  that the Xray does not show. 

@SeaMaiden   I had forgotten that she said that we would do an ultrasound next.  She said they could see things on an ultrasound that couldn't be seen on x-rays.

@NickNack   yes... ultrasound I think I meant to say that not sonogram... sorry

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

Was glad to see the update on Ava. I've been praying for that sweet girl. Hope this is quickly resolved.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1  "The Vet said the bloodwork for this was several hundred dollars."

No pet insurance?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Sammycat1  "The Vet said the bloodwork for this was several hundred dollars."

No pet insurance?

@Mz iMac   Yes, I do have pet insurance that would cover 90% of it.  The Vet was telling me it wasn't necessary to do the bloodwork now, that there were other things we should try first.  I have a feeling she will get better with the change in diet.  I hope I'm right.

-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

If you feel bad about not giving treats you can make some out of the prescription food. If you put the can in the fridge. It makes it more solid for cutting/shaping. Spoon some out cut in bite size pieces about 1/4 inch thick on baking sheet .

Oven at 350 and bake for 20-25 minutes. turn off oven but leave sheet in oven. Pieces will dry and harden as it cools. The texture changes enough they think it is a treat so she thinks still getting special treatment but you know they won't be hurt by it.  Bake just a few pieces first time to see if she likes. Store in fridge for 5-7 days.

One warning, some brands stink as they cook. So if you can do on day you can open windows .......

Honored Contributor

@shoobee wrote:

If you feel bad about not giving treats you can make some out of the prescription food. If you put the can in the fridge. It makes it more solid for cutting/shaping. Spoon some out cut in bite size pieces about 1/4 inch thick on baking sheet .

Oven at 350 and bake for 20-25 minutes. turn off oven but leave sheet in oven. Pieces will dry and harden as it cools. The texture changes enough they think it is a treat so she thinks still getting special treatment but you know they won't be hurt by it.  Bake just a few pieces first time to see if she likes. Store in fridge for 5-7 days.

One warning, some brands stink as they cook. So if you can do on day you can open windows .......

Thank you @shoobee .  I'll remember that.  I barely give her any treats anyway.  She just gets about three of the very small Charlie Bears a couple of times a day.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Glad to hear about your visit.  I like the slow and steady Diagnostic approach myself.  Occam’s Razor - Rule out the simple first.  A battery of tests would not rule out food allergies.

Your vets will move forward if necessary.  Most important you know and trust them.

Hoping the food adjustment is the solution. Please keep us posted, and Hugs 🤗 to you, Ava, and Henry!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras