Honored Contributor

Ava's Follow-Up Vet Appointment

I posted that Ava had to go to the Vet on Saturday because she was vomiting profusely.  She had x-rays that day, and there was something in her stomach.  The Vet said it could just be food but she didn't know.  I took her in this morning after fasting her to redo the x-rays.  Her stomach was empty.  I was so relieved.

The Vet I saw on Saturday was going on vacation this week, so I saw a different Vet in the practive.  She didn't think we should do the GI bloodwork today since the vomiting just started.  She wants me to quit giving her the Cerenia and feed her the prescription diet only and come back in three weeks.  Of course, if she starts throwing up again I will take her back in before then and have the bloodwork done.

I really hope this is the end of it.  I felt like this was good news today.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ava's Follow-Up Vet Appointment

@NickNack wrote:

I posted that Ava had to go to the Vet on Saturday because she was vomiting profusely.  She had x-rays that day, and there was something in her stomach.  The Vet said it could just be food but she didn't know.  I took her in this morning after fasting her to redo the x-rays.  Her stomach was empty.  I was so relieved.

The Vet I saw on Saturday was going on vacation this week, so I saw a different Vet in the practive.  She didn't think we should do the GI bloodwork today since the vomiting just started.  She wants me to quit giving her the Cerenia and feed her the prescription diet only and come back in three weeks.  Of course, if she starts throwing up again I will take her back in before then and have the bloodwork done.

Maybe she has a food intolerance (not the same as allergy) and that will be the end of it.  I'm absolutely stunned that no blood work was done; saves Ava a trip and rules out other common culprits like liver/pancreas/inflammatory and other gut problems rapidly. Ridiculous (not on your part, on the vet's) with how much she was vomiting.

Good luck to dear Ava that she feels better and more consistently so! 

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

That does sound like good news!

That eliminates a lot of dangerous medical conditions, YAY!

Please keep us posted on any new developments with Ava's condition!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

Maybe she has a food intolerance (not the same as allergy) and that will be the end of it.  I'm absolutely stunned that no blood work was done; saves Ava a trip and rules out other common culprits like liver/pancreas/inflammatory and other gut problems rapidly. Ridiculous (not on your part, on the vet's) with how much she was vomiting.

Good luck to dear Ava that she feels better and more consistently so! 

@Sammycat1   The Vet said the bloodwork for this was several hundred dollars.  If she had thought we should do it now, I would have done it though.  If this happens again we will do it.  She told me not to give her any treats or anything at all other than the prescription diet and see how she does.  I'm hoping for the best.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

The standard blood panel was several hundred dollars?  That's  very high.  The next time, ask that they pull just her proteins (inflammation marker), liver values, kidney and BG.  That will not be several hundred dollars.

The very specific test for pancreatitis is generally done by IDEXX and costs more $$$. You don't need to do it right away, but sometimes you have to do it.

Is the prescription food a one source protein and one source carb?  This sort of "flatlines" the diet so that if she calms down, then you have to slowly add other proteins to find the problem.  Our Frankie, for example, can't eat chicken, fish or beef (like a lot of cats).  We've had dogs that can't eat certain beef.  It's trial and error.

Good luck with Ava. She has a good mama in her corner.

ETA:  Doing an abbreviated blood panel is not a big deal and frankly is standard practice for a dog vomiting that much. I'll stop commenting from now on.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

So happy you saw another vet!

I agree,those tests are very expensive...........and invasive!

My friend went through similar problems and after two different vets, one wanting loads of tests done,saying it was his liver  and the other no testing just eliminating  some foods,  it was found   (lol... because I read about them and told her)  it was his beloved CHEW STICKS that made him sick!!!

Her furbaby is just fine now, not on meds. and no further testing needed,but he is sure  missing his fav  chew sticks!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MalteseMomma 

I SO agree!

We had a similar problem and it turned out to be completely diet related, they needed a prescription food).

I would trust my Vet, assuming you use a Vet that you trust (which I know @NickNack does, as to when blood work is necessary, eliminating other causes first.

ETA: As long as the condition isn't serious or critical.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@NickNack , will be praying for the best outcome for that cute girl of yours. Sounds, at least, like somethings ruled out. Will be waiting to hear how she makes out on the special food. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack    Did they do a sonogram or just an Xray?  My Golden Lola was vomiting  etc....and the Xray did not show anything  also......but they decided to do a sonogram  which is more thorough... and saw she had a mass in her liver. The Xray did not show that....

I am not telling you this to upset you or compare your sweet pup to Lola's situation, but, it might be good to do a  sonogram and rule out anything  that the Xray does not show. 

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

The standard blood panel was several hundred dollars?  That's  very high.  The next time, ask that they pull just her proteins (inflammation marker), liver values, kidney and BG.  That will not be several hundred dollars.

The very specific test for pancreatitis is generally done by IDEXX and costs more $$$. You don't need to do it right away, but sometimes you have to do it.

Is the prescription food a one source protein and one source carb?  This sort of "flatlines" the diet so that if she calms down, then you have to slowly add other proteins to find the problem.  Our Frankie, for example, can't eat chicken, fish or beef (like a lot of cats).  We've had dogs that can't eat certain beef.  It's trial and error.

Good luck with Ava. She has a good mama in her corner.

ETA:  Doing an abbreviated blood panel is not a big deal and frankly is standard practice for a dog vomiting that much. I'll stop commenting from now on.

@Sammycat1   She was talking about GI bloodwork.  She just had full bloodwork done several months ago right after I got her.  The prescription food is Hill's Digestive Care I/D.  We will switch to a different type of protein if she can't tolerate this. 

She did say it would be trial and error with her food if she continues to throw up.

-Henry David Thoreau