Honored Contributor

Re: Ava Is Terrified Of Henry

I think you and your husband are amazing @Sammycat1 .  I know they felt your love from the beginning.  How long ago was that?  How old were they?  You've told me about their story, but I don't know it all.  I just know you all are wonderful people.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

p.s.  I do try to do the "dual praise" sessions.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I think you and your husband are amazing @Sammycat1 .  I know they felt your love from the beginning.  How long ago was that?  How old were they?  You've told me about their story, but I don't know it all.  I just know you all are wonderful people.

You are so nice in your comments about me and my husband. We just love animals and over time, felt a special calling to help those everyone else has forgotten or abused...or ones with special needs.

We adopted them four years ago. Frankie was about 3, and Fay Wray, 5.  Fay Wray died last year after a battle with advanced kidney failure (she had a lot of other health problems; in truth, the stress killed her).  Frankie was destroyed by Fay Wray's death; she howled long, plaintive meows about the house for a long time.

Our prior surviving pets before Fay Wray and Frankie were our collie Fergus and our cats SophSoph and Schmoo. After we lost Fergus in 2010, Schmoo's double-sided heart failure gripped him. While we were trying to help him, SophSoph also got heart failure, but she wasn't so lucky--she died the same day she was diagnosed, as most cats do. Schmoo was lucky/unlucky--he lived nearly three years with the worst case imaginable.

After he died, we were spent. For three years. Then one day, DH said, it would be nice to have a kitty again. (We can no longer do dogs--too many orthopedic issues between us). So we looked at photos on the shelter website, and we saw Fay Wray and Frankie, the bonded pair.  Fay Wray's name was "Precious" and we needed to change that; it didn't suit her spunky personality.

They shook like leaves in their little cat condo (room) at the shelter--they hid in their litter boxes when we first went in. So we decided to just talk and bantered about the special kitties that were in that very room that we could not see. Then Fay Wray--the more fearless one--poked her head out...and Frankie stuck her nose out.

And I know it will sound crazy, but Fay Wray just stared intently at me with her beautiful green eyes, and I swore I heard/felt Schmoo's presence ... as if he said, "Save them, Mommy. You're the only one who can."

And that was it:  we brought our girls home, knowing that they probably didn't have a long life in store, but that the life they'd have from then on would be filled with a love and security they'd never known but surely deserved. Here's Fay Wray and a photo of Fergus our 140-pound, muscle-bound, Gentle Giant of a collie.  How lucky we were that they chose us:

Fay Wray peeking.jpg

Schmoo Fergus majestic.jpg

Honored Contributor

Fay Wray looks very sweet and pretty.  Fergus was just gorgeous.  

I have no doubt that Schmoo was telling you to save them both.  They were very lucky that you all found them.  I do love hearing your stories @Sammycat1 .

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

p.s.  I do try to do the "dual praise" sessions.  

@NickNack 

We call those sessions - I'm OK, you're OK.

Silly, I know.

Although sometimes it seems more like -

I'm OK, I'm not so sure at all about YOU!

Good Wishes to y'all

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras