Honored Contributor

Ava Is Terrified Of Henry

[ Edited ]

This is Ava's 11th day with me.  I posted on someone else's thread yesterday that Ava had started barking this strange bark at him and was chasing him.  I was completely wrong.  She is terrified of him.

She makes this very strange loud sound and runs away from him scared to death.  Last night she ran into my bedroom and cowered beside my bed.  She wouldn't get into her bed for a long time.  I sat with her and tried to comfort her, but she was really scared.

This morning Henry was standing outside of my bedroom, and she wouldn't come out.  I had to go get her leash to get her out.  I didn't want to carry her.  I wanted her to walk.  She didn't eat her breakfast.  I tried hand feeding her and putting some pieces on the floor.  This usually gets her started, but she wouldn't eat.

I don't know how to get past this.  I haven't had her long, so I know this could be corrected.  I understand now that they will never be good friends, but I wish she could go back to ignoring him.

My sister knows a very good trainer who will come to your house.  I'm going to call her today to get some help.  If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

Edited to say:  Since one poster commented that it must be terrible to be terrified every minute of every day and that she doubted this would ever work.  It is NOT every minute of every day.  She was scared this morning but hasn't been since.  She is sitting beside me on the couch right now very happy and content. I do not plan on giving up unless this proves to not be able to work.  That would be months from now, not days.  I will give her as much time as she needs.  I think this is where she needs to be.  She had fear issues to work out before she came here, and I was aware of that.

Edited again:  The trainer is coming at 5:00 tonight (Wednesday).

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ava Is Terrified Of Henry

@NickNack  I know exactly where you are coming from because Maui is terrified of Bud, even after almost a year.  She generally is afraid of nothing except him, and he is afraid of everything except her.  Please post how things are going with finding a trainer.

When Happy came here, Bud had not walked into our home, but he must have lived with cats and just likes to rub up against them.  Neither Happy nor Maui had ever seen a cat, but Happy, as finicky as she is, learned to deal with Bud and now get along fine.  Maui is just terrified.  Whatever you learn, please pass it on.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Do you know if Henry has ever tried to intimidate Ava?  Like jumping on her, pouncing, etc?  Even playfully?  

One of my little dogs (female) was also scared of my cat (male).  The dog was always timid-to-fearful with other animals.  The cat would be fine around her, then all of a sudden just pounce on her, which terrified her. 

Because Ava is so timid, if I were in your position, I'd try to keep them separated for right now.  I would want Ava to be able to acclimate herself to her new home without fear of the cat, otherwise I'd be afraid she would shut down completely before I could get her comfortable in my home.

Ava has to gain enough confidence before the two can start to be introduced.  The trainer is a good idea, especially if he/she is experienced with extremely timid dogs, which can require careful training.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@geezerette   I've never seen Henry do anything except occasionally try to approach Ava and sniff her.  He has arched his back at her at times.  My house is very small and all on one level.  It would be pretty impossible to separate them.  I'm calling the trainer today.  I'll ask her if she has experience with this.  If not, maybe she could refer me to someone else.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@geezerette   I've never seen Henry do anything except occasionally try to approach Ava and sniff her.  He has arched his back at her at times.  My house is very small and all on one level.  It would be pretty impossible to separate them.  I'm calling the trainer today.  I'll ask her if she has experience with this.  If not, maybe she could refer me to someone else.

@NickNack 

It may not be an overt action on Henry's part, but Ava is apparently interpreting him as a threat. Henry has seniority in the household.

In addition to a trainer/behavioralist, I'd also contact the breeder again and see if she has any ideas.  It also seems that Ava is going to need a lot more time to get adjusted to having a new home.  I hope you can find some help for her. ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Feeling so sad for Ava..........living in fear every moment of her day.

How to get past this?     Doubtful it will change - Big decision time.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack 

It may not be an overt action on Henry's part, but Ava is apparently interpreting him as a threat. Henry has seniority in the household.

In addition to a trainer/behavioralist, I'd also contact the breeder again and see if she has any ideas.  It also seems that Ava is going to need a lot more time to get adjusted to having a new home.  I hope you can find some help for her. ❤️

@geezerette   Yes, now that I've figured it out I will contact the breeder again today.  Since I've only had her ten days I definitely think this can change.  This just started to this extent mainly yesterday.  I will give Ava all the time that she needs.  I love her very much, and she loves me.  I want this to work.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I edited my original post and wanted to add this here, too.  

Since one poster commented that it must be terrible to be terrified every minute of every day and that she doubted this would ever work.  It is NOT every minute of every day.  She was scared this morning but hasn't been since.  She is sitting beside me on the couch right now very happy and content. I do not plan on giving up unless this proves to not be able to work.  That would be months from now, not days.  I will give her as much time as she needs.  I think this is where she needs to be.  She had fear issues to work out before she came here, and I was aware of that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack - don't give up on them.  My daughter and her husband got a new puppy in January. 

The new puppy was afraid of the cat, the cat wanted nothing to do with the pup.   

I got a picture just this weekend with the two of them nose to nose, really cute.  It took a while but they came around.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I edited my original post and wanted to add this here, too.  

Since one poster commented that it must be terrible to be terrified every minute of every day and that she doubted this would ever work.  It is NOT every minute of every day.  She was scared this morning but hasn't been since.  She is sitting beside me on the couch right now very happy and content. I do not plan on giving up unless this proves to not be able to work.  That would be months from now, not days.  I will give her as much time as she needs.  I think this is where she needs to be.  She had fear issues to work out before she came here, and I was aware of that.

@NickNack 

That's good news.👍  

Since it seems that Ava isn't terrified all the time, it may take a little more eagle-eyed detective work on your part, @NickNack!😉

Maybe it's when Henry directly confronts her?  Like at the door this morning when she was afraid to come out.  Or when he arches his back at her, giving her vibes that he's not happy or relaxed with her?  You could have a bit of a problem with Henry, as well as Ava.  Neither are used to each other yet, so there's still tension, which Ava seems to be very attuned and reactive to.

Now that you have an idea of what's going on, you can keep a close eye on when it is that Ava gets frightened and see what's happening around her at those times.  You want this to work, so I'm sure you'll do whatever it takes to get little Ava feeling that your home is now her home too!🤞❤️