Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 109
Registered: ‎09-22-2019

@NickNack I'm so sorry to hear Ava is having so many problems.  Frenchies do seem to have a lot of stomach issues.  Have you rested her tummy for a day?  Her problems sound like more than an irritated tummy problem, but I always do a day of yogurt and maybe scrambled egg when my dogs have had problems.

I would definitely get a second opinion.  It will be good for your peace of mind as well as Ava's health.  Sending positive vibes to you both.

 

I follow Dr. Karen Becker.  Here is an article she did on vomiting in dogs.  https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2020/05/25/why-do-dogs-vomit.aspx?cid_sour...

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,459
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Flyer98 wrote:

@NickNack I'm so sorry to hear Ava is having so many problems.  Frenchies do seem to have a lot of stomach issues.  Have you rested her tummy for a day?  Her problems sound like more than an irritated tummy problem, but I always do a day of yogurt and maybe scrambled egg when my dogs have had problems.

I would definitely get a second opinion.  It will be good for your peace of mind as well as Ava's health.  Sending positive vibes to you both.

 

I follow Dr. Karen Becker.  Here is an article she did on vomiting in dogs.  https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2020/05/25/why-do-dogs-vomit.aspx?cid_sour...


 

 

Thank you @Flyer98 .  Ava saw an internal medicine specialist Vet the last time this happened, which was in November or December, so she has seen another Vet.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,459
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Flyer98   I could only read the first sentence of that article without putting my email in, which I don't want to do.  It said it's important to know the difference between vomiting and regurgitation.  I do know the difference, and my Vet and I discussed exactly how she was throwing up.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,216
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@NickNack wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

 

I'm sorry that Ava's feeling so unwell,  metronidazole is foul tasting. Have you encased it in a pill pocket? Mixing it in food won't work to conceal its bad odor and taste.

 

Also, she's vomiting a lot. Is she getting enough fluid to rehydrate her (beyond drinking water)?  This may make her feel better. Just thinking out loud.


 

 

Thank you @Sammycat1   She hasn't vomited since that first day.  She got the Cerenia injection at the Vet that day, and I gave her another one yesterday.  I won't give her the Cerenia today and see how she does.  She did throw up maybe what looked like a 1/2 bite of the bunny poop last night and wouldn't eat her supper or take her metronidazole.

 

I discovered that the metronidazole tastes bad..  I tried putting it in her food but that didn't work, so I used a can of z/d that I had opened when she first got sick.  I put the pill in a little bit of that.  She takes it that way.  

 

She drinks a lot of water, so that hasn't been a problem.


So is she taking the metronidazole or not? The last post in which you mention it says she's not--that's why I wrote this. Even though she's drinking a lot of water, she can still be dehydrated.

 

Hopefully your vet can get a hold of the situation for her soon.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,459
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@Sammycat1   She didn't take the metronidazole last night, but she took it this morning when she finally ate at 10:30.  I think she's only missed two meals and hasn't thrown up since Tuesday.  I always appreciate your input.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,459
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Ava ate her supper and seems to feel fine now.  I'll just continue with the Fromm and see how it goes.  If/when this happens again I'll switch her to the prescription diet.  

 

My Vet called, and this is what we discussed.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,804
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

@NickNack 

So sorry Sweet Ava's been feeling poorly.  I'm glad you've had success with her eating today & hope she continues eating well.  Makes you feel so bad when we can't understand all they're trying to tell us.

Good luck.  You're such a caring cat/dog Mom.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,459
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

@sceniccoast wrote:

@NickNack 

So sorry Sweet Ava's been feeling poorly.  I'm glad you've had success with her eating today & hope she continues eating well.  Makes you feel so bad when we can't understand all they're trying to tell us.

Good luck.  You're such a caring cat/dog Mom.  


 

 

Thank you @sceniccoast .  Thank you everyone.  Ava ate her breakfast and seems just fine today.  This is a strange condition.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,760
Registered: ‎03-14-2010

@NickNack ...gosh I'm sorry both you and Ava are going through this...its soooo stressful.   I'm going through alot with Teaspoon lately too.  I just wanted to mention, as we've discussed previously about giving meds...I found putting a little cream cheese either in the pill pocket, or on a small piece of bread(a slice cut in quarters) then I place the pill on it and roll it up.  Teaspoon loves it!!  But she loves bread anyway.  Maybe you can try it.  I also have to cook for her...right now it's baked or boiled chicken breast,  I shred it up tiny, add unsalted chicken broth, cooked oatmeal,  and a few green beans minced up.  All discussed with my vet.

As for possible bunny poop, I have lots of bunnies here, and I always see the poop, little dark pellets, but my dogs don't eat it.  Try keep an eye out, and maybe rake it away??  Sure hope things get better there.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 15,459
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Ava Is Sick Again

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack ...gosh I'm sorry both you and Ava are going through this...its soooo stressful.   I'm going through alot with Teaspoon lately too.  I just wanted to mention, as we've discussed previously about giving meds...I found putting a little cream cheese either in the pill pocket, or on a small piece of bread(a slice cut in quarters) then I place the pill on it and roll it up.  Teaspoon loves it!!  But she loves bread anyway.  Maybe you can try it.  I also have to cook for her...right now it's baked or boiled chicken breast,  I shred it up tiny, add unsalted chicken broth, cooked oatmeal,  and a few green beans minced up.  All discussed with my vet.

As for possible bunny poop, I have lots of bunnies here, and I always see the poop, little dark pellets, but my dogs don't eat it.  Try keep an eye out, and maybe rake it away??  Sure hope things get better there.


 

 

Thank you for the suggestions @Dazlin .  My Vet didn't think the bunny poop could have made her that sick.  Since I saw her eat so much of it that night I've been going out in the yard with her and stopping her from eating it.

 

She's always eaten it, but it seemed like she was eating a lot the other day.  I always put Ava's pills in a Pill Pocket if she won't just eat it mixed with her food.  That's what I had to do with the metronidazole, and also the omeprazole that she's taking.

 

She also will take pills mixed with the z/d prescription diet.  It's been in my refrigerator for about a week though, so I should probably throw it out.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling