Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear that Ava is having problems again. Sounds like she'll have to stay on the food for good. I know the food is expensive, but if that solves her problems ... it's best to spend the money on the food and have her feel good than spend the money on the vet trying to make her feel better.

Several years ago I had a 135 lb Dogue de Bordeaux who was, I think, allergic to everything food-wise. You can imagine how much food she ate ... and vomited and had loose stool. The vet finally told me about Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Hydrolyzed Protein food and all her issues were resolved in less than a week. She did great on that food for her entire life, but it was super expensive and has only gone up since then ... but the constant vet visits stopped and she no longer had to take meds, so in my mind the price of the food was off-set by not having to pay the vet for visits/meds anymore.

Best of luck with Ava. It's so hard being a pet parent when we know our babies aren't feeling well.

@Wahoogaz   Thank you for your input.  That's very encouraging.  Hill's z/d is a hydrolyzed protein, too.  That's what worked for her initially until I weaned her off of it.. I agree that it's worth it if it will work.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

I'm sorry to hear that Ava is sick again.  Ask your vet about d/d vs. z/d. Z/d is a hydrolyzed protein diet, and they can still trigger diarrhea and vomiting because of the way they work chemically.

Our vet switched to d/d, which is not a hydrolyzed diet, and Frankie's symptoms resolved almost immediately.  He said this has been true for dogs and cats that he's treating. The d/d comes in a couple of flavors, too. For the first time in years, she isn't having soft stools or vomiting/regurgitating.  We buy this on Chewy to save $$, because you're right, it's not cheap

Good luck for your baby!

@Sammycat1   I just put this on my list to ask my Vet about tomorrow.  I went to the Hill's website and read about it.  Thank you!

@NickNack  You're welcome!  You know, the d/d food just smelled better than the rest, too.  I don't know why, but it did.  

Good luck again. These things are so frustrating when you just want her to feel better and have everything resolved. 

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

I'm sorry to hear that Ava is sick again.  Ask your vet about d/d vs. z/d. Z/d is a hydrolyzed protein diet, and they can still trigger diarrhea and vomiting because of the way they work chemically.

Our vet switched to d/d, which is not a hydrolyzed diet, and Frankie's symptoms resolved almost immediately.  He said this has been true for dogs and cats that he's treating. The d/d comes in a couple of flavors, too. For the first time in years, she isn't having soft stools or vomiting/regurgitating.  We buy this on Chewy to save $$, because you're right, it's not cheap

Good luck for your baby!

@Sammycat1   I just put this on my list to ask my Vet about tomorrow.  I went to the Hill's website and read about it.  Thank you!

@NickNack  You're welcome!  You know, the d/d food just smelled better than the rest, too.  I don't know why, but it did.  

Good luck again. These things are so frustrating when you just want her to feel better and have everything resolved. 

@Sammycat1   The z/d smells awful!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Oh sweet baby I hope she feels better soon 🥰

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

Don't I know it (about z/d). Frankie took one whiff of it and said, "h*ll no!"

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

I sure hope sweet Ava will feel better soon!

Please post a new photo of her beautiful face as soon as she does.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to hear Ava still has bad tummy.

Trusted Contributor

Sweet Ava, I hope you feel better very soon baby.  You have a wonderful mommy who loves you and will take good care of you.  Sending prayers that you feel better sweetheart. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ava Is Sick Again

[ Edited ]

My friend and also my sons dog was like this and they are allergic to beef

.Beef is in a lot of treats and meds,like heartworm meds ,ect not only food. 

My friends dog is also  on Prednizone (sp?)

My friend went to so many vets only to hear he needed surgery ,ect............

Since they stopped the beef.They both are doing very good!

My friend dog is doing excellent!!!   TG

Esteemed Contributor

Awww poor baby Ava!  My heart goes out to this beautiful girl and also to her momma 'cause we hurt when they hurt.

Instead of the "vet" food, could you try feeding her "people" food like poached chicken, steak, veggies, fruits - something easy on the tummy:  my fave 'sick-time' food has always been mashed potatoes...