Valued Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

I have had newly adopted dogs in the past who didn't eat for a couple of days.  I was worried, but like others have said, it is probably nerves.  She just has to relax and get used to her new home. 

Plain Greek yogurt goes over big in our house.  A little on top might open her appetite and it's good for them. 

Good luck with your new sweetie.  I'm sure she will get hungry soon!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack    Yeah!  It appears the week-end crisis is over.  

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

Ava ate!  I mixed a little Wellness and the Pro Plan kibble that she came with in a bowl.  Then I put some of the Fresh Pet chicken that I bought today in my hand and offered her a piece.  She ate it.  Then I kept getting closer to her bowl and put it on top of the kibble.  She ate all of the chicken and some of the kibble.  I am so happy.  She hasn't peed in 13 hours though. 

@NickNack wrote:

Ava ate!  I mixed a little Wellness and the Pro Plan kibble that she came with in a bowl.  Then I put some of the Fresh Pet chicken that I bought today in my hand and offered her a piece.  She ate it.  Then I kept getting closer to her bowl and put it on top of the kibble.  She ate all of the chicken and some of the kibble.  I am so happy.  She hasn't peed in 13 hours though. 

@NickNack 

Eating and drinking!  I'm so happy for you Both!

Jumping and dancing at the door - Wonderful, SO special, Ava was waiting for you!

I know you don't want one more piece of advice, but I would continue offering her what she ate from your hand, and use the bowl you want her to have. But hand feeding her might be a good thing, for the time being, boy is it a super Bonding experience!

A bowl that his been cleaned should not bother her, and changing things around can be confusing/ upsetting to her.  Ava seems like a girl who is comfortable knowing what to expect.

While I am NOT one to delay racing to the vets, but I might wait a bit before going, it might set her back and well.. maybe another day, especially if she's not running a fever.  But you are an experienced Mom, You will do the best thing.

So happy you are sharing with us.

Best Wishes to You, Ava, and Sweet Henry

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Thank you @Drythe .  I'm not going to take her to the Vet since she's eating and drinking.  I'm using the bowl that I want her to eat from now.  It's the one that Frankie used.  I didn't want to take her to the Vet even when she wasn't eating and drinking because, as you said, it might set her back.  I would have though, if she had needed fluids.  She's drinking well now.  We'll do the same routine with meals for a while.

The breeder took her to the Vet for her shots and an exam the day she brought her to me, so she has had an exam recently. 

She hasn't peed in almost 14 hours now.  I just spent 30 minutes outside with her trying to get her to go.  We came in and I got the leash to see if she might go on a leash and she still didn't go.  That really does bother me.  She just has to go before we go to bed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

Thank you @Drythe .  I'm not going to take her to the Vet since she's eating and drinking.  I'm using the bowl that I want her to eat from now.  It's the one that Frankie used.  I didn't want to take her to the Vet even when she wasn't eating and drinking because, as you said, it might set her back.  I would have though, if she had needed fluids.  She's drinking well now.  We'll do the same routine with meals for a while.

The breeder took her to the Vet for her shots and an exam the day she brought her to me, so she has had an exam recently. 

She hasn't peed in almost 14 hours now.  I just spent 30 minutes outside with her trying to get her to go.  We came in and I got the leash to see if she might go on a leash and she still didn't go.  That really does bother me.  She just has to go before we go to bed.

@NickNack 

Have you tried letting her go out alone and watching from the window if you have a fence?   That squatting position makes them feel vunerable, or maybe the guy punished her when she did. (?)  I hate that for her

Maybe she was really dehydrated?

Glad the Vet trip is off for a bit.  ❤️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack 

Have you tried letting her go out alone and watching from the window if you have a fence?   That squatting position makes them feel vunerable, or maybe the guy punished her when she did. (?)  I hate that for her

Maybe she was really dehydrated?

Glad the Vet trip is off for a bit.  ❤️

@Drythe   Yes, I've tried watching her from my porch, walking her on a leash, walking near her or away from her off leash in my fenched in area, and any other way you can think of.  She didn't pee before we went to bed, even though she spent over 30 minutes walking around the yard.  She woke me up two hours later, and I took her outside.  I think that will eventually get better, too.  I had decided to quit walking around the yard with her today and think I will stick to that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

She ate her breakfast this morning.  She prefers the Wellness to the Pro Plan and really likes the Fresh Pet chicken on top.  I'm going to quit putting the ProPlan in her bowl.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Drythe    I was checking back to see how  Ava  was doing....so glad she is eating and drinking!  Now that food and water are going IN.... The plumbing will start to work...it might take several days as she may have not been eating much prior to your adoption either....

I went through this with my sweet Lola...  who had cancer ....it is so upsetting when our pet  babies do  not eat or drink....I know how you feel. 

Ava is so luckily to have YOU and you HER.

((HUGS)) sent your way🥰. ~ Sea Maiden~

Honored Contributor

Just an update:  Ava has pottied outside twice today, so I am so glad everything is getting straightened out.  

She has barked at Henry today, which is kind of good, because it means she feels like she's home.  I have no doubt they will work things out and everything will be fine.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack 

I'm so glad Ava is eating, drinking, and using the bathroom! I had to laugh at Ava barking at Henry! I'm sure Henry is insulted to no end! They will figure they both belong there and they will be fine. 
I know this is a load off your mind! ❤️

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Just an update:  Ava has pottied outside twice today, so I am so glad everything is getting straightened out.  

She has barked at Henry today, which is kind of good, because it means she feels like she's home.  I have no doubt they will work things out and everything will be fine.

@NickNack , 

Your post here makes me very happy. 

I am thrilled that everything is working out. Ava barking is surely a positive sign. 

Enjoy.