Honored Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

She's drinking water!  I went to the grocery store for chicken broth.  When I came back she jumped all over me.  She was so happy to see me.  She had eaten some of her food, but there was a tiny little bit of throw-up on the floor, too.  

Then she went to her water bowl and drank!  I am very thankful for all of the suggestions and ideas of everyone here.

@drizzellla   The last two weeks of my dog's life were spent taking her to the Vet while I sat in my car.  It was especially awful in that circumstance.  I know just how you feel.  When we put her to sleep the Vet at the Vet School brought her outside to a quiet place with a bench so that I could be with her.  I really appreciated that.

My Vet is letting owners come in with their pets starting tomorrow. They have to wear a mask before they can go in the exam room.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I cook ground beef for Teaspoon,  maybe you could try cooking some home food for her today?  Add unsalted chicken or beef broth.  I either add in some pasta, or rice too.  I would try anything.    Hope she eats today🙂

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

She's drinking water!  I went to the grocery store for chicken broth.  When I came back she jumped all over me.  She was so happy to see me.  She had eaten some of her food, but there was a tiny little bit of throw-up on the floor, too.  

Then she went to her water bowl and drank!  I am very thankful for all of the suggestions and ideas of everyone here.

@drizzellla   The last two weeks of my dog's life were spent taking her to the Vet while I sat in my car.  It was especially awful in that circumstance.  I know just how you feel.  When we put her to sleep the Vet at the Vet School brought her outside to a quiet place with a bench so that I could be with her.  I really appreciated that.

My Vet is letting owners come in with their pets starting tomorrow. They have to wear a mask before they can go in the exam room.

How exciting! She is excited to see you AND eating a bit and drinking water. Everything is going in the right direction. She just needed some time.

I am so glad things are looking up. Enjoy your time together.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad she is eating and drinking again.  I hope it's smooth sailing for the two of you from now on!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

Definitely time for the vet, if only to give her some subq fluids and rehydrate her. That alone will make her feel 100% better and may jump start drinking. She may also simply have a tooth that's bothering her,too. Better get a look under the Ava hood!

Brita doesn't get all impurities out of the water. Check labels on bottled water, too. Some are filtered using sodium! Our cats and dogs have always had Poland Spring or Deer Park.

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes making no assumptions (your vet) can drill down to the problem more easily.

edited to add: ignore my post. Too bad about the vomit but maybe it will settle.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I'm so relieved she ate some, and drank water. I was thinking about her all morning...I get very upset when my pets wont eat, it's sad.   I know you'll keep a close eye on her.  I'm wondering if shes not too crazy about the food, and it's not agreeing with her tummy, since she threw up a little.   She may know it's not agreeing with her, and stayed away from it, but shes probably pretty hungry by now, so she ate.  Just a guess...you'll know soon either way.  Thinking back when I brought Gabriel home, he hated the food that he was given from the rescue, yet they said he was eating it.

Soon as I switched him, and of course as I mentioned earlier he was treated for several conditions,  he lapped up all his food.  You might consider switching her food, gradually if need be.   I'm soooo glad, things are looking on the up swing for both you and her!  

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

Definitely time for the vet, if only to give her some subq fluids and rehydrate her. That alone will make her feel 100% better and may jump start drinking. She may also simply have a tooth that's bothering her,too. Better get a look under the Ava hood!

Brita doesn't get all impurities out of the water. Check labels on bottled water, too. Some are filtered using sodium! Our cats and dogs have always had Poland Spring or Deer Park.

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes making no assumptions (your vet) can drill down to the problem more easily.

edited to add: ignore my post. Too bad about the vomit but maybe it will settle.

Thank you @Sammycat1 .  I was SO happy that she has started drinking water.  I think she will start eating again soon.  Her stomach may be upset because she hasn't eaten.

I am going to take her to the Vet for a check-up anyway as soon as I get her Vet records.  The breeder's vet is emailing them to her, and she will email them to me.  I want to read them and see what has happened health wise in her life and then take them to my Vet.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack , I'm so relieved she ate some, and drank water. I was thinking about her all morning...I get very upset when my pets wont eat, it's sad.   I know you'll keep a close eye on her.  I'm wondering if shes not too crazy about the food, and it's not agreeing with her tummy, since she threw up a little.   She may know it's not agreeing with her, and stayed away from it, but shes probably pretty hungry by now, so she ate.  Just a guess...you'll know soon either way.  Thinking back when I brought Gabriel home, he hated the food that he was given from the rescue, yet they said he was eating it.

Soon as I switched him, and of course as I mentioned earlier he was treated for several conditions,  he lapped up all his food.  You might consider switching her food, gradually if need be.   I'm soooo glad, things are looking on the up swing for both you and her!  

@Dazlin   Thank you.  I'm putting the food out for her that the breeder brought.  I bought some Wellness at the pet store yesterday to switch her over after she starts eating.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

Great!! I was writing a post about my dog who would only eat and drink unless he was alone. He didn't want me, the cat or anyone else "watching" him. Then I saw your post that Ava had eaten and drank her water while you were gone and then drank some more for you.  Happy news!!!

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I'm happy your going to switch her...meanwhile you can still add some of that broth you picked up, for added hydration.   I'm sure you already have it all covered 👍.  Now you can relax and not worry...gosh, I would've been a wreck.  Good job!!!

I'll check back by tonight or tomorrow 🙂.