Honored Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

@goldensrbest wrote:

As long as she is drinking water, i would wait a day ,before i would get worried ,it is a big change for her,how does she like your cat?

@goldensrbest   She's really not drinking water either.  I'm going to give her canned food with water in it as the breeder suggested.

She and Henry are fine.  They touched noses this morning.  There hasn't been any hissing.  I'm not worried about them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

I used the terms confident and happy because earlier in this thread you mentioned that she was acting like she was these things with you. 

It will take time but she's now in a nice, quiet, secure home. Frankie and her buddy Fay Wray had been terribly used, coming from a hoarder's house. We had no visitors to our home for a month after their arrival. Frankie took her meals under our coach for a week. 

Time, routine, safety, love.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

I used the terms confident and happy because earlier in this thread you mentioned that she was acting like she was these things with you. 

It will take time but she's now in a nice, quiet, secure home. Frankie and her buddy Fay Wray had been terribly used, coming from a hoarder's house. We had no visitors to our home for a month after their arrival. Frankie took her meals under our coach for a week. 

Time, routine, safety, love.

@Sammycat1   That's what I plan for her.  I just want her to be happy.  She has to start drinking though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Ava is still adjusting, it's only been 24 hours.  She's shy, she will eat and drink when she's hungry.  I'm assuming you are keeping dry food out for her all the time right now? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SugarPuff wrote:

Ava is still adjusting, it's only been 24 hours.  She's shy, she will eat and drink when she's hungry.  I'm assuming you are keeping dry food out for her all the time right now? 

@SugarPuff   I kept dry food out for her all day yesterday.  I actually put her food in the refrigerator because it had refrigerated food on top.  She wasn't eating it at all though.  I just ate supper and tried again.  I also gave her a little more water in a syringe.  I know it will happen.  If she was drinking I wouldn't be that concerned.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   If you have a syringe or turkey baster you can get some water in her.  If you don't just soak a paper towel in water and rub it on her mouth or squeeze it in her mouth every hour.  You could also get pedialyte.

Regular Contributor

There's something called the "3 3 3 Rule" by dog rescue groups.  You've likely heard of it or seen it posted.  I was looking for the poster meme about it for you but couldn't find one that I could copy and paste. But google it and you will see what I mean.  They discuss eating and other things in the first 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. 

If she was given a good health report at the vet, I'm sure she will eat and drink within 3 days.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

I truly believe Ava will be okay. You can try sitting on the floor with her for a while and offer a sip or lick of water from your hand or holding the water bowl close to her mouth. Either way could be a little messy so be ready with a towel to soak up any spills. Don't wipe her face off unless she gets soaked. I have a plastic syringe from a drugstore baby supply section. I fill it with room temperature water and slowly give some squirts in the side of the mouth. You might not want to try it unless you think it's necessary.  BTW, were  her food and water bowls in the breeder's house or somewhere else? Was Ava kept mostly inside, crated, or what and where did she sleep? This is a huge change for her

Although Ava coped with her previous environment(s), she needed to be in a much different place. Thankfully, the breeder acknowledged it and did a good job of placing her in your loving care.

Ava had shots yesterday which might be hurting a little or temporarily making her feel sick. One of my dogs of many years always had a sickish reaction from the immunizations but they were required. 

The breeder knew Ava very well. I think you said she told you it would be maybe two weeks or up to a month or so for Ava to trust and adjust to a new home. I think you and your home are perfect for her. She isn't accustomed to peace and quiet, needs it but scared right now. 

I don't want to appear weird but I am praying to St. Francis for Ava's well-being and happiness. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

How's Ava doing tonight?  DH, Frankie and I send snuggles to your new baby, you and Henry.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@NickNack   If you have a syringe or turkey baster you can get some water in her.  If you don't just soak a paper towel in water and rub it on her mouth or squeeze it in her mouth every hour.  You could also get pedialyte.

@Pook   I've been giving her water in a syringe.  I can't get a lot of water in her though.  I also put an ice cube down for her, but she wasn't interested in that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-Henry David Thoreau