Honored Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

[ Edited ]

@NickNack Agree about the new bowl. As someone else said, dogs can smell hundreds of times more than we can and could be a scent lingering.

When our beloved cat died and we adopted our second one, the shelter advised replacing the dishes, so we did.

I think you've been given lots of good advice from ladies who know and hopefully your shy little girl will adjust in time.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack   Maybe take lil Ava for a walk to stimulate her appetite?  I wouldn't worry just yet about her not eating.  Once we left our dog with a four day sitter. Took her a few days to eat. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NickNack    I wouldn't worry about her.  She's in strange surroundings and it will take her awhile to relax and feel comfortable.  She doesn't appear to be in danger of starvation and will eat when she's ready.  She may get mixed up with her bathroom habits too.  It'll all work out shortly.

I have one that goes through periods when she balks at eating.  All I have to do is add a heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt to her food and she's all over it.

@Kachina624   Yes, she's completely messed up with her bathroom habits.  I went outside with her many times yesterday, and she never went.  She did go this morning.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@dex   Yes, we're going to take a walk today.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Given her personality, I would try not to get too worried just yet.  (I know--it's hard not to!)  If she appears fine otherwise, especially if she's drinking, she can go a while without eating if she desires.  More than likely, she's a bit nervous and confused.  You may be seeing why the breeder has been so careful about placing her in the proper home.  Ava may just be a very sensitive little lady.

Also, you mentioned that the breeder had gotten her shots in the last couple of days too.  Perhaps that and now a new home was overwhelming to Ava.

A quiet approach is probably the best with a shy dog.  Letting her just explore on her own, or not, if she prefers.  If she's a cuddler, that might help.  I'd also consider a high value dog treat or two--something more tasty than just her regular dog food in the dish.  Even a bit of some kind of bland meat may entice her to take a nibble.

Or, if you know she likes walks, that might help too.  To get out with different sights and smells may wake up her appetite.

It looks like you may have a guessing game with Ava for a while to see what it is she responds to.  Be patient.  But, if you're concerned, you can always contact the breeder later today or in the next few days.  I'm sure she could help.

Good luck!🤞🐾

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack   It's not unusual for a dog to not eat right after going to a new home.  I have had 4 rescue dogs and all had issues eating at first.  Try some meat baby food that she can lap up or lick off your fingers.  You could also slip your finger with it in her mouth so she gets a taste.  You could also mix a small amount of dry food with baby food on a  small amount on a plate and if she eats that offer several times a day .  Baby food has always worked for me.  Your vet also could suggest a vitamin supplement in gel or paste form that will stimulate her appitite.  As for the dog dish - it is a good idea to get her her own special one.  Try a treat with a smell like pupperoni or bacon treats.   My latest rescue still usually will not eat if someone comes in the room where her dish is.  Give it time she will eventually eat.  Let her adjust  and show her love.  A special toy or blanket might also help with the adjustment.  Contact the breeder and see if she can give you something that has her scent on to have something familiar to relate to.

Honored Contributor

As @geezerette  said   I'd also consider a high value dog treat or two--something more tasty than just her regular dog food in the dish.

Sometimes an appetizer helps.  Just a nibble of something really good to get her started.

I've had many rescues in and out my door and never found a dish to be an issue.  I wouldn't bother with a new one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If her stomach is upset from nerves.........my Vet often suggested light foods - rice with a little bit of chicken added.

It always worked............

Honored Contributor

One more thought:

Although it's important to let Ava get settled at her own pace, I'd also get her into whatever routine you want her in ASAP.  Like, starting tomorrow.

If you have designated eating times, put her food out and allow her some extra time to eat since she's not used to your routine yet, and then put the food away if she hasn't eaten it until the next feeding time.  If you keep her food out all the time, do that.  If you go for a walk at a certain time, start her on those.  The same with anything you want her to continue.  She needs to know your routine, and hers.  Dogs like routines, especially if they involve food and/or human interaction.

I think the only thing I wouldn't do for a while is to leave her alone and unattended, except for a short time if necessary, unless she's crated.  Even if she's okay in a crate, I'd try not to leave her for a long time just yet.  Everything right now is too new for her and that might upset her too much.

🐾❤️

Esteemed Contributor

She might be scared/puzzled still.  It is wonderful you have a supply of her familiar food.  Give her time.  Remember water too.