Honored Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

Dogs can go @ 4 to 5 days without eating, but only if they're drinking water. 3 days without water is their limit. Cats can only go about 3 days at the outside for food or water (unless they're wild cats or exclusively outdoor cats who get their fluid from prey).  I've been in both of these situations before with various dogs and cats.

Dogs, cats and humans are similar in the water department:  about 3 days max without.

So if Ava doesn't drink by Monday, you'd better get her checked at the vet.  Let's hope she decides to do so on her own.....soon!  I know you'll be relieved and more relaxed about her integration into your home.

Frankie's been up and down today. Right now she's on a Zoom call with DH and his friend.  She loves TV in all its forms.  Smiley Happy

Thanks @Sammycat1 .  I'll call the Vet tomorrow morning if she still hasn't drunk any water.  The syringes definitely aren't enough.

I love that Frankie is on a Zoom call!  That's so sweet!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

Checking in to see how your baby

girl is doing and hoping that she'll

some signs of improvement today.

Sending Ava tons of prayers and positive

energy and tons of comfort hugs to the

both of you.

(((((NICKNACK & HER AVA)))))

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for all of your comments, concerns and help.  @beastielove , Ava slept all night again and woke up seeming happy to be here.  We immediately went outside and she pottied.  She did No. 2 normally last night, so I was happy about that.  

When we came back inside this morning she went straight to her water bowl but didn't drink.  I immediately put her food down and she sniffed it a lot but didn't touch it.  Just in case she didn't like the bowls I was using, last night I switched to a saucer that no dog had ever used.  I put a few pieces of food beside the plate.  I switched her water bowl to one of my soup bowls that no dog had ever used.

If she doesn't drink today I am calling the Vet in the morning and taking her in.

I completely understand that this is a huge change for her and will be very patient with her.  I'll give her all the time she needs.  She just has to drink tomorrow or it will be dangerous.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Thank you for the update.Hopefully

Ava will finally drink from the water

bowl today.Even so the only thing that

you can do is to keep her hydrated by

using the syringe.

Hang in there! We're all with the both

of you in spirit!

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

Have you tried to give her some fresh chicken,or hamburger?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Have you tried to give her some fresh chicken,or hamburger?

@goldensrbest   No, but her breeder put Fresh Pet on her food.  I bought some yesterday (it's fresh refrigerated food) and put it on her food.  She wouldn't eat it.  They had a very small selection, and I couldn't get exactly what her breeder had used.  I'm going out to another store today to try to find what she used.  I can cook chicken for her if she won't eat that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I wonder if your water has a different odor or taste. Some municipalities more heavily chlorinate than others. Ground water varies in minerals by area. You could try filtering her water or using bottled water. Could you make her a little "soup" by mixing a little canned food with warm water? I've had success with that when dealing with sick kitties. Sending prayers.
Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7 wrote:
I wonder if your water has a different odor or taste. Some municipalities more heavily chlorinate than others. Ground water varies in minerals by area. You could try filtering her water or using bottled water. Could you make her a little "soup" by mixing a little canned food with warm water? I've had success with that when dealing with sick kitties. Sending prayers.

@lynne6was7   I tried the canned food with warm water yesterday, and she wouldn't touch it.  Our water is heavily chlorinated.  I didn't change it this morning, because chlorine evaporates overnight.  I use a Brita filter and put some filtered water in one of her bowls this morning.  I'll buy some bottled water today.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack , I agree with you,if she does not drink, time for a vet.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I wish I had a solution. I know how frustrating it is. We have been dealing with this for years.

We started out by cooking chicken breast and putting on top of his dog food. At least he would go to the bowl and smell. But he lost interest in the chicken. We then went to hamburger, same result, liverwurst, hot dog - he lost interest. We are now using chicken liver, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

What always seems to work - if we are eating it - he will eat it. He has eaten stuffed peppers, eggplant parmesan, cauliflower and his favorite (he had it last night) rotisserie chicken. Oh, and he loves fast food hamburger and chicken nuggets. BUT that causes a problem. Now he only wants to eat our food and no dog food. So we created a monster by just trying to make him eat something. He now only wants our food.

I now sit on the floor and spoon feed him in his bed. He spits out the dog food at least 12 times and makes a mess with the spit out food in his bed. And then he might take a bite. Or he gets up and walks away into another room. Or he will turn his mouth as far away from me as he can. 

And we tried to take him to his Vet. No humans are allowed in the building. The Tech comes out to your car and takes the dog, they exam the dog, and then bring the dog back to your car. We would have no contact with the Vet only the Tech. My husband said why bother we would probably only get the same answer that we have gotten the past 7 years.

Does Ava have a playful side? Our dog will not fetch a ball, play with any toys etc. There is truth to the saying "can't teach an old dog new tricks". Maybe see if Ava will try and play with water out of a hose or spray bottle. Anything to get water into her body. 

We have many boxes, cases, cans and bags of different dog food and brands. I feel like we could feed the SPCA for a month, when we are allowed to drop the stuff off.