Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

my mom and dad just got a new puppy .  We noticed that she Preferred eating on the floor and not from a bowl.  I think it’s because there are more than one dog /puppy.  I think it is easier to feed groups throwing food on the floor rather than so many bowls.  It was not a puppy mill, but I think the pups preferred this method.

Honored Contributor

Two days max not eating....then go to the vet. 

Contributor

Sorry about the underline..didn’t notice.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@NickNack 

I truly believe Ava will be okay. You can try sitting on the floor with her for a while and offer a sip or lick of water from your hand or holding the water bowl close to her mouth. Either way could be a little messy so be ready with a towel to soak up any spills. Don't wipe her face off unless she gets soaked. I have a plastic syringe from a drugstore baby supply section. I fill it with room temperature water and slowly give some squirts in the side of the mouth. You might not want to try it unless you think it's necessary.  BTW, were  her food and water bowls in the breeder's house or somewhere else? Was Ava kept mostly inside, crated, or what and where did she sleep? This is a huge change for her

Although Ava coped with her previous environment(s), she needed to be in a much different place. Thankfully, the breeder acknowledged it and did a good job of placing her in your loving care.

Ava had shots yesterday which might be hurting a little or temporarily making her feel sick. One of my dogs of many years always had a sickish reaction from the immunizations but they were required. 

The breeder knew Ava very well. I think you said she told you it would be maybe two weeks or up to a month or so for Ava to trust and adjust to a new home. I think you and your home are perfect for her. She isn't accustomed to peace and quiet, needs it but scared right now. 

I don't want to appear weird but I am praying to St. Francis for Ava's well-being and happiness. 

@Silver Lining   Thank you.  Ava ate and lived inside the breeder's house.  She crated her when she left.  She slept with the breeder and her husband.  I'm not sure this was every night though.  I put her in my bed last night, and she went to the end of the bed.  I brought her blanket that the breeder brought with her and put it on a dog bed beside my bed, and she slept there all night.  I'm so glad I asked her to bring a blanket for her.

Thank you for praying to St. Francis for Ava.  I believe all prayers help.  I am truly thankful that her breeder placed her with me.  I know things will work out eventually.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

How's Ava doing tonight?  DH, Frankie and I send snuggles to your new baby, you and Henry.

Thank you @Sammycat1 .  She seems fine, but she still isn't eating or drinking.  I'll give her more water in a syringe again soon.  She really does seem perfectly fine with me.  She follows me from room to room.  Frankie did that, too.  

I hope she will start eating and drinking, at least drinking, tomorrow.  I don't know how long dogs can go without drinking.  I know it's dangerous for cats not to drink.

You've got so much to think about with Frankie.  I don't want you worrying about Ava, but I do appreciate it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

Dogs can go @ 4 to 5 days without eating, but only if they're drinking water. 3 days without water is their limit. Cats can only go about 3 days at the outside for food or water (unless they're wild cats or exclusively outdoor cats who get their fluid from prey).  I've been in both of these situations before with various dogs and cats.

Dogs, cats and humans are similar in the water department:  about 3 days max without.

So if Ava doesn't drink by Monday, you'd better get her checked at the vet.  Let's hope she decides to do so on her own.....soon!  I know you'll be relieved and more relaxed about her integration into your home.

Frankie's been up and down today. Right now she's on a Zoom call with DH and his friend.  She loves TV in all its forms.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ,  I think it's a good sign Ava is following you around,  shes looking for your company,  so good.  I'm sure her not eating is very concerning.  I know that would drive me crazy, but it very well could just be shes uneasy in her new environment.   She'll gain trust in you soon, just keep making everything as pleasant as can be, and have play time, and cuddle her alot too...maybe play with a ball, or a chewy rawhide, give some treats, or squeaky toys.   When I got Gabriel home, he wouldn't drink,  and ate very little,  but his case was very different...he was very sick.  When I took him to the vet, thankfully the next day, he was very dehydrated.   The vet administered fluids into his back under the skin, called the hump, which is absorbed within a few hours.   I also gave him water by syringe, and then canned prescription food.  He did well, but like I said, a very different situation as he was a very sick puppy.   I'm sure your new pup will be just fine very soon...keep up your great care...sounds like shes in the best care.  I'm looking forward to hearing you say, "She ate and drank today"😃

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

I’m thinking of you and Ava.  I believe in my heart that you two are meant to be.  Her sleeping beside you is a strong signal of her willingness.  

While it is disconcerting that she is not eating or drinking right now, she knows it’s there and hopefully she will.  For now, what she chooses to eat and drink is the only thing she has control of, everything else has changed.  Your quiet, calm, presence is what she needs, and you are offering it.  It will be well, she just left her safe place, and needs time to work through things. 

Best wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

May I make one suggestion, @NickNack? Before going to bed, I would pour out her water bowl and draw a fresh one, measuring the water so you know exactly how much you put in. In the morning, you'll be able to measure the contents (assuming Henry doesn't drink from it) and tell how much she drank overnight, if anything.

I bet the second night with you will turn the trick. I always say that cats are such creatures of habit that if you do anything they like twice in a row, you have to do it forever. I bet dogs are not dissimilar. Two nights in her bed next to you will hopefully help her trust that she's really there so she can relax and eat. Go Ava! Nom nom nom!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack I haven't read all of the posts but have had dogs go through traumatic experiences.  If you haven't tried already, you should try some sliced deli meats like oscar meyer or hillshire farms that are pre-packaged at the store.  My large dogs who went through chemo and surgery and my daughter's small one who stopped eating all LOVE the deli meats to keep them going until they feel better.