Honored Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

@KingstonsMom -

You sound like such a sweet momSmiley Happy

I love all the things you said.

@NickNack -

I was going to say too, just love her a lot right nowHeart

I can see myself eating beside her and or showing how delicious her food isWoman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@NickNack -

and @Kachina624 mentioned yogurt.

I thought of 100% pumpkin in a can I used to give to our older one when he had stomach upsets,and bathroom issues (constipation) our cat too!

I think it really helped. For our cat I mixed it in with her food, for our wonderful dog, I would just give him it out of the spoon.

I'm sure she will grow to love her new home and you! and get on track with eating and being as happy as she is beautiful!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@NickNack   It's not unusual for a dog to not eat right after going to a new home.  I have had 4 rescue dogs and all had issues eating at first.  Try some meat baby food that she can lap up or lick off your fingers.  You could also slip your finger with it in her mouth so she gets a taste.  You could also mix a small amount of dry food with baby food on a  small amount on a plate and if she eats that offer several times a day .  Baby food has always worked for me.  Your vet also could suggest a vitamin supplement in gel or paste form that will stimulate her appitite.  As for the dog dish - it is a good idea to get her her own special one.  Try a treat with a smell like pupperoni or bacon treats.   My latest rescue still usually will not eat if someone comes in the room where her dish is.  Give it time she will eventually eat.  Let her adjust  and show her love.  A special toy or blanket might also help with the adjustment.  Contact the breeder and see if she can give you something that has her scent on to have something familiar to relate to.

@Pook   The breeder gave me a blanket for her and a toy.  She wasn't interested in a bed that I have in the living room at all.  She was lying on the floor beside it yesterday.  As soon as I put the blanket in the bed she got right in it.  She hasn't eaten the treats that I've tried to give her.  The breeder said she never gave her dogs dog treats.  She always uses cheese.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

As @geezerette  said   I'd also consider a high value dog treat or two--something more tasty than just her regular dog food in the dish.

Sometimes an appetizer helps.  Just a nibble of something really good to get her started.

I've had many rescues in and out my door and never found a dish to be an issue.  I wouldn't bother with a new one.

@Kachina624   I, too, have had many dogs, rescues, purebreds, puppies and adults.  I have never bought new dishes for any of them unless I just needed a new dish at some point.

The breeder said she doesn't give her dogs treats.  Ava won't take mine.  She gave her dogs cheese.  I think I'm going to scramble an egg for her and put it on top of her food to see if she'll eat that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Given her personality, I would try not to get too worried just yet.  (I know--it's hard not to!)  If she appears fine otherwise, especially if she's drinking, she can go a while without eating if she desires.  More than likely, she's a bit nervous and confused.  You may be seeing why the breeder has been so careful about placing her in the proper home.  Ava may just be a very sensitive little lady.

Also, you mentioned that the breeder had gotten her shots in the last couple of days too.  Perhaps that and now a new home was overwhelming to Ava.

A quiet approach is probably the best with a shy dog.  Letting her just explore on her own, or not, if she prefers.  If she's a cuddler, that might help.  I'd also consider a high value dog treat or two--something more tasty than just her regular dog food in the dish.  Even a bit of some kind of bland meat may entice her to take a nibble.

Or, if you know she likes walks, that might help too.  To get out with different sights and smells may wake up her appetite.

It looks like you may have a guessing game with Ava for a while to see what it is she responds to.  Be patient.  But, if you're concerned, you can always contact the breeder later today or in the next few days.  I'm sure she could help.

Good luck!🤞🐾

@geezerette   The breeder was very honest in giving me the description of her personality.  There were no surprises.  I met her one day and got her two days later.  

The breeder actually didn't charge me for her.  She said she just wanted to find her the perfect home where she would get a lot of attention and be loved.  She seems very confidant and happy with me, and she slept all night.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

Why a bowl.  I had a small Yorkie who wouldn't eat out of a bowl but if I put a few small bites next to his dish he would eat, then I put small amounts of food in his dish.  I had another dog who would never from a dish only a plate.  Don't think like a human, they aren't.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

She's in a new home, smells your other dog, smells a cat, is in unfamiliar territory. (By the way, just because she is used to cats, doesn't mean she is used to your cat. Same is true with Henry. He's used to a dog, but not this dog.)

Everyone is nervous and just needs time to assimilate to the new situation.  Give her some space and let her check out her new territory. A call to the breeder might not be bad because she knows Ava so well and might have a food tip.  A confident, happy dog eats. So something is off a little.

Good luck--I'm sure she'll come along!

Honored Contributor

As long as she is drinking water, i would wait a day ,before i would get worried ,it is a big change for her,how does she like your cat?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Super Contributor

I haven’t read all the posts, so forgive if I’m redundant or missing something.  The rescue where I’ve gotten four dogs over time has said that some people don’t adopt a dog because it doesn’t immediately run up and bond to them, yet the dog would be perfect if given time.  That is likely the case with your new addition.  It may take awhile,  and I would be extremely surprised if that doggie doesn’t settle in within a few days or even a few weeks.  Who knows what that 3 1/2 year old has been through. Thanks for adopting!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

She's in a new home, smells your other dog, smells a cat, is in unfamiliar territory. (By the way, just because she is used to cats, doesn't mean she is used to your cat. Same is true with Henry. He's used to a dog, but not this dog.)

Everyone is nervous and just needs time to assimilate to the new situation.  Give her some space and let her check out her new territory. A call to the breeder might not be bad because she knows Ava so well and might have a food tip.  A confident, happy dog eats. So something is off a little.

Good luck--I'm sure she'll come along!

@Sammycat1   The breeder checked in this morning and knows she hasn't eaten.  She said that will take care of itself in time.  She just checked in again to see if she'd eaten anything yet.  She suggested putting water or broth on the canned food that she brought.  I'll try water since I don't have any broth.  Ava is not drinking water either.  I'm very concerned about that and have tried giving her some in a syringe.  I couldn't get much in her but will do it again.

Ava isn't a confident happy dog.  The breeder thought she was overwhelmed with the other dogs and thought she'd be happier in a quiet home.  She hoped that she would gain confidence and blossom.  She was completely honest with me about all of this, and I observed it when I met her on Wednesday.  She seems very content here and is very friendly with me.  She was scared and shaking when my sister came over this morning.  The breeder gave her to me and said she just wanted her to have a loving home.

The breeder had her as a puppy and sold her to another breeder.  A year and a half she sold the same breeder another dog and took Ava back.  She was going to show her and breed her.  Ava was too scared to walk around the ring, so she spayed her.  I asked the breeder (it's obvious she loves her very much) if she thought it was possible that anything bad happened to her at the other breeder's house.  It's just not normal for a dog to be this scared of people.  The breeder said that she trusted the breeder but has since found out her husband is unstable.  I'll bet he abused Ava.  I'm so sad for her and will be very patient.

She and Henry are fine.  They touched noses this morning.

-Henry David Thoreau