Honored Contributor

I posted that I got a 3 1/2 year old dog yesterday, Ava.  When her breeder brought her to me, she said she hadn't given her breakfast since she took her to the Vet at 9:00.  I put food out for her that the breeder brought, and she didn't touch it.  The breeder brought a canned food to put on top, which I did.  She also uses Fresh Pet on top sometimes (a refrigerated cooked food that you use straight from the bag).  I went out this morning and bought Fresh Pet.  

I've tried hand feeding her and just putting some food in my hand and trying to feed her.  She sniffs it but will not eat it.  Does anyone have any ideas?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ava Hasn't Eaten Anything

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  You are doing everything right, but Ava is probably just confused as to where she is and what is going on.  Her appetite will probably be back sometime this weekend.  It is going to take her a while to understand that she is now in her forever home.  I am sure that you got her a new bowl; but, if not, that might help.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

Since she's a shy baby, she just trying to adjust to her new home/surroundings.

Be very patient with her eating, she'll eat when she's ready and she sure isn't underweight, LOL!

Cover the food you tried, so as not to waste it, and refrigerate it. Then offer her some later.

Just relax with her on the couch or sit by her bed (if she prefers her bed) and stroke her and talk to her softly, while you read or watch tv.

No pressure about eating. Animals are like us and when they're stressed or confused their tummies aren't interested in food.

I think slow and easy is the best thing to make your shy lil' girl comfortable.

Keep us posted.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl Thank you.  I did not get her a new bowl, but I can.  It's a ceramic bowl, so there shouldn't be any smells in it.  Why do you think that would help?  I've never thought about doing that with a new pet.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you @KingstonsMom .  I'll cover her food and put it in the refrigerator now.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

She needs to adjust to her new surroundings.  Sights, smells, voices, noises.  Give it some time.  Put out a little food for her, she can go to it or come back to it.  Keep the water fresh, and use gentle soothing voice with her.  She's little in a big people's world and it requires some longer to adjust,  than maybe others might need.  A little at a time.

If it becomes something more to you, do call your emergency pet hospital.  

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@SXMGirl Thank you.  I did not get her a new bowl, but I can.  Why do you think that would help?  I've never thought about doing that with a new pet.

@NickNack 

In my personal experience working with rescue groups and training, a new bowl wouldn't make a difference, but that's just my personal opinion, meaning no disrespect to @SXMGirl 's opinion.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  Dogs have a strong sense of smell.  Ava might be like our Happy, who is very particular.  If Ava smells Frankie, she might not want to eat or drink out of the bowls. I would get Ava new food and water dishes, so those bowls will have her smell on them.  Same thing with a leash/harness, bedding, towels, and anything else so that it is just hers.  These are just my suggestions as only you will know what works.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@NickNack    I wouldn't worry about her.  She's in strange surroundings and it will take her awhile to relax and feel comfortable.  She doesn't appear to be in danger of starvation and will eat when she's ready.  She may get mixed up with her bathroom habits too.  It'll all work out shortly.

I have one that goes through periods when she balks at eating.  All I have to do is add a heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt to her food and she's all over it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@NickNack @how about lots of walks...maybe work up an appetite.