Honored Contributor

Re: Attn: "little" dog owners - Snow & a 17lb dog

There's a difference between your dog being out in the snow and being out in sub zero temperatures for an extended period of time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

There's a difference between your dog being out in the snow and being out in sub zero temperatures for an extended period of time.

True.  Our walk was only 15 minutes this morning.  It was too cold for him.  He pooped then turned around to go home.  Now I know.  Thanks.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

When I had a small dog,  I'd walk him on the packed down snow in our residential cul de sac.   No traffic. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

True.  Our walk was only 15 minutes this morning.  It was too cold for him.  He pooped then turned around to go home.  Now I know.  Thanks.

You're doing pretty well if you can walk 15 min in the snow on your  bad knee.   I could barely make it to the kitchen prior to my surgery... lost 20lbs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

So many factors to consider here-----the height of the dog, how long the hair is, how thin the legs are.    Watch out and avoid salt on walks as it could hurt the dog's paws.   There are balms to use to protect the paws a bit (Musher's Secret, etc) but the paws need washing as soon as they get in.   If they get wet, they will need to be immediately dried off.   A blanket and warm bed, always.    If they enjoy the snow, let them play but time their exposure and watch them at all times (as usual).   Small dogs do well in low snow for limited times.   If the dog does not like the snow, or wants to go in, respect his wishes.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tonite was our first real walk in the snow.

Well, now I know, he does not like walking in the snow. 

He didn't even "poop".  He just walked real fast/ran and now I also know --- he KNOWS his way home.  LOL!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Isn't it funny how so many of our dogs love the snow and others will do anything they can to not go in it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I've had a couple of Maltese's and they were totally different.  The first one had a rather thin coat and wore a sweater year round.  My Chloe had a coat on her that was incredibly thick and loved the snow.  Even when it was snowing she would snoop around outside until I had to go fetch her . . . getting her dried off was an hour long project . . . Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is now 3PM.  He has not "poo'd" since yesterday morning when there was no snow on the ground and it was sunny.

I did what another poster mentioned, and dug a path from the house to the yard.  I've taken him out twice (10AM and 2:30PM).  On the 10 AM trip, he pee'd on the grass, then ran in the house.  Just now, I carried him from the house to the grassy area (which, 4 hours later is covered with more snow).  He sniffed his morning "pee spot", then ran in the house. 

I suppose I'll try again @ 5PM.

Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

It is now 3PM.  He has not "poo'd" since yesterday morning when there was no snow on the ground and it was sunny.

I did what another poster mentioned, and dug a path from the house to the yard.  I've taken him out twice (10AM and 2:30PM).  On the 10 AM trip, he pee'd on the grass, then ran in the house.  Just now, I carried him from the house to the grassy area (which, 4 hours later is covered with more snow).  He sniffed his morning "pee spot", then ran in the house. 

@I suppose I'll try again @ 5PM.

Woman Embarassed

My chihuahua can be like that when it's rained a lot, she doesn't care about the snow though. IME it works best to stay out there with them until they go and if you have to carry them to their favorite spot in the yard. Especially if it's been 24 hours. If they had just went a few hours ago they may not to go again but 24 hours and no poop means he's probably holding it wishing for that miracle that the weather will change. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval