Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

We are unfortunately have to have our cat Hunter put down tomorrow. He hasn't been eating for a few days now and has lost a lot of weight. Plus he now seems to be uncomfortable. The vet can't get him in for days and the emergency vet makes you wait in the car, I won't have him die alone in a strange place. Anyone ever use at home euthanasia? I have someone coming over tomorrow around noon. 

I'm sorry @Meowingkitty.  We're in the same boat.  We had to send one of ours to the Rainbow Bridge this past Monday.  He also stopped eating and drinking and was obviously in bad shape.  We were hoping there would be some kind of medicine he could take but he required an expensive surgery, hospital stay, meds, etc. and there were no guarantees for the future.  We did it at the vet's office. They let me hold him and it was very quick.  We have had a number of pets over the years so this was not our first experience.  It never gets any easier and I always feel horrible and guilty.  😿🐾

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty  I truly appreciate you starting this thread.  My two girls are 15 & 12 and the inevitable is coming.  I never heard of home euthanasia and am so thankful this option is available.  Again, thank you!

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family.  You made the right decision.  Take care!

Respected Contributor

When  I had to have to have my little cat Missy put down, we didn't--for various reasons--want to do it at home. The vet's office is a former residence with a beautiful garden out back, so we took Missy there and cuddled her and talked to her for a while about the beautiful garden she was going to etc. Even the vet cried...now THAT's the kind of vet I would want to take care of my pets, if I ever have anymore/

Esteemed Contributor

It's so hard to have to let your pet go - even when they are sick. When my Ella became sick, I called my regular vet who had seen her over the weekend. Although they could have helped me, I just couldn't stand the idea of not being able to be with her due to the covid restrictions. They recommended Lap of Love.  They were amazing and so compassionate. 

I cried through the entire process of making the appointment and was still wishing I didn't need to let her go but she was ready. The vet who came that day was so kind and loving and my baby went peacefully in my arms.

It still makes me terribly sad but I'd recommend them to anyone who finds themselves having to make the hard choice to let their furbaby go.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@spent2much wrote:

@K9buddy  I guess I'm uneducated about this "at home euthanasia."  Op said her vet can't fit her in yet cuz he's too busy; thus, too busy to come to her house.  So who do you call?

My vet doesn't do house calls (I don't know of any that do around here) and the emergency clinic still won't let people in. I won't just hand him over to a stranger to die while forced to sit in my car.  The ones that I found are usually one or two vets who have a business that go to peoples houses and put the pet to sleep. It is much calmer than a vets office. They then take the body to be creamated and bring you back the ashes in a few days. Same procedure, just calmer for the pet and owner.

You asked "who do you call"? Just google at home pet euthanasia and lots of websites come up. 

@Meowingkitty 

Also check around your area for 'Mobile Vet', that's what mine is.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty  I am so sorry about Hunter and I definitely know how you feel.  I only do at-home euthanasia, unless our pet in already hospitalized and not able to return home.  Having to euthanize our pets is not something that we look forward to, but doing it at home, where your pet is comfortable, is really what is best.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!