Esteemed Contributor

We are unfortunately have to have our cat Hunter put down tomorrow. He hasn't been eating for a few days now and has lost a lot of weight. Plus he now seems to be uncomfortable. The vet can't get him in for days and the emergency vet makes you wait in the car, I won't have him die alone in a strange place. Anyone ever use at home euthanasia? I have someone coming over tomorrow around noon. 

Trusted Contributor

I have had it done at home with 2 dogs.  Best decision.  They were in their favorite spot in the house surrounded:by loved ones. Best to you.  

Trusted Contributor

It's a good decision rather than make your ailing pet wait for a merciful end. Hunter will feel safe and relaxed; he'll cross over the bridge with you right there or nearby if you can't watch. There's no downside. 

Some practical advice:  Write out the check in advance to pay the visiting vet, in case you might be upset to do it after the procedure. Find an old towel to have handy for Hunter to be wrapped in. Make a decision in advance about disposing of his remains so you can readily make those choices when offered. Kleenex and a cool moist compress will help for the first tearful minutes afterwards. 

Come back here for hugs and condolences. We all know how hard this is and how brave you are to help your dear cat this way. 

Frequent Contributor

Absolutely the best decision for your pet.  Our family has done at home euthanasia for both cats and dogs, Your pet will be in familiar surroundings and will be able to die in your loving arms.

Respected Contributor

I'm So sorry it is Hunters Time.  I would have asked them how they are going do the euthanasia before they get there.  then you will know what is happening throughout.  It will be a sad enough occasion. knowing how the visit will be performed will be one less unknown to deal with.  May Hunter have a peaceful passing in his loving home.  Hugs to you and Hunter tonight and a prayer for tomorow.

Super Contributor

Over the years I have done both with our beloved dogs. Our Weimaraner hated going to the vet and so the vet came to the house. He was 16 1/2 years old and our first "baby". It was as comfortable as we could make it. As a widow, I have had to take my last two dogs in to the vet at end stage. It was done compassionately and my pets were never alone. Both before and after the end I was allowed to spend as much time as I needed to say goodbye. My pets were cremated and the ashes sent to me with a beautiful condolence card. Either way is very emotional and I have decided no more pets. My condolences, I know this is difficult. 

Honored Contributor

Both of our last losses went to the bridge in the comfort of our home, with us holding them in our lap, loving them, cuddling them and telling them how much we love them, will miss them and will never forget them.

And we wouldn't have had it any other way.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry that you will be missing Hunter.  While we have always taken our pets to the vet for their final visit, held them, and talked to them before their last, it still is in the vet’s office.

I we had a choice, it would have been at home.  All my best wishes to you.

Respected Contributor

I wish I had this done for a few of my kitties. Others weren't bad around strangers. 

I'm so sorry Hunter isn't feeling well. My condolences to you and your family.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

I am so sorry..... Tough decision but the best for Hunter. (((((hugs)))))