Trusted Contributor

At My Wits End - Dog Won't Eat

About a year ago, I adopted a black lab from a shelter. Six months after getting him, he got really sick vomiting and diarrhea. The vet diagnosed him with pancreatitis and put him on Pro Plan EN low-fat dry food. My dog ate it for awhile, but, then refused it. I tried giving him boiled chicken which he would eat a few bites of. I have also tried Hills Science Diet ID and he doesn't want that, either. Last trip to the vet, they put him on an antibiotic and a probiotics pill. I'm supposed to sprinkle the probiotics on his food. Well, of course, the problem with that is that he WON'T eat his food! I've spent a fortune on vet bills and expensive foods (that he won't eat). I'm thinking I will have to try another vet clinic, but, with that, they will have to run all the expensive tests on him again. As the title says, at my wits end!!!!!!!

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

Re: At My Wits End - Dog Won't Eat

[ Edited ]

@Sapphiregal   I'm very sorry your dog won't eat.  I know how hard it is to have a sick pet.  It sounds like you need to see a specialty Vet, probably an Internal Medicine Vet.  I would ask the current Vet to refer me to someone like that.

If you have a Vet School near you that would be a great place to go.  Your dog may need to have an endoscopy with biopsies taken to diagnose the problem.

He's not just not eating to be stubborn.  There's something wrong.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sapphiregal -

You are a wonderful dog parent!

I wish I could suggest something.

The only thing I could think of was to check out a holistic or integrative vet.

They might have some other solutions.

You could take his records from previous vet to them.

I always used 100% pumpkin in a can (available at grocery stores), for our dogs and cats when they had digestive problems and it always helped. Mixing it with food or if he will take it, from a spoon or your hand.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Frequent Contributor

Hello I am so sorry to hear about your fur baby.  Have you tried scrambling an egg ( just a plain egg with water) and boiling alittle rice.  Take that mixture and mix with a little of his dry dogfood. If he eats this then you might can sprinkle the probiotics on,  I have had to do this for my sons rescue and my kitty.  It won't hurt him.  Do this for the time being to get the probiotics in his system, If yoiu go to another vet you have a right to ask for his medical records including tests results.  The new vet might see something the old vet did not. I hope helps...I will being praying 

Valued Contributor

I am so sorry you are having this trouble.  Will your dog take the probiotics with cheese, peanut butter or those pill pockets.  I also started my dogs day with unsalted chicken broth in the morning then about an hour later breakfast.  Maybe if he or she likes the unsalted broth you could put it over the kibble.  Hope this helps.

Super Contributor

So sorry you're having this problem. If you decide to take your dog to another vet, have the current vet share all of your dog's medical information (including test results) with the new vet. There's nothing wrong with getting a second opinion from another vet, so your current vet shouldn't have any problem with sharing the information.

Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal   I just wanted to add that you don't have to sprinkle the probiotics pill.  You can give it to him in peanut butter or a Pill Pocket or something.  I'm giving my dog Proviable probiotics right now, and the website says you can give him the capsule without sprinkling it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I recommend finding a more specialized vet.  Not just a DVM, but with credentials such as ACVS.  The dog is not going to eat if he is having signs and symptoms of pancreatitis again.  It can also be painful for them.  You may have to force feed the food and medication.  It's not easy...I know.  Pancreatitis is a serious condition and requires attention.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Sapphiregal   I just wanted to add that you don't have to sprinkle the probiotics pill.  You can give it to him in peanut butter or a Pill Pocket or something.  I'm giving my dog Proviable probiotics right now, and the website says you can give him the capsule without sprinkling it.

@Nicknack

Yes, I know that I don't have to sprinkle it.  Problem is, he just won't eat anything, not even peanut butter and especially pull pockets- he spits it out. I can't t waste the pills, so, I have been pouring it into a spoon and with husband's help, opening his mouth and putting it in. Not easy to do with a big lab and I hate doing that to him.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sapphiregal  I am so sorry that your pup is having difficulties eating.  Our Happy is a really picky eater, recently had a small stroke, and has had a few digestive problems.  Since our Maui eats a prescription diet most of the time, I also give it to Happy and I heat the wet food up.  That seems to help.  I also keep turkey breast in the fridge for both of them.  Maybe these suggestions will help.  I do hope that you and your vet can find something that will work and that you will report back here with good news.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!