Super Contributor

Asking for thoughts and prayers regarding my precious Teddy Bear.

[ Edited ]

It's has been a rough 6 weeks.  My kitty, Teddy, started out with only his third eyelid showing more than usual and he wasn't eating very much.  I took him to the vet and had some tests and x-rays done and he was given an antibiotic.  Fast forward 6 weeks and poor Teddy has been in and out of the vet's office at least 5 more times, one time spending about 6 days there before I could pick him up.  His eye got worse and was kind of bulging at one point.  It got better after using an eye ointment but now is still looking inflamed.  Th vet removed three of his teeth which allowed him to finally start eating better but over the Thanksgiving holiday, he started not eating as well again. I took him to the vet this past Monday because he had started bumping into things in our home and couldn't seem to find his food in his dish.  I told her I was concerned he couldn't see but she looked him over and said she felt he could see and that he was probably disoriented due to his other eye.  

Yesterday, my regular vet was closed and I was concerned that his eye wasn't showing any signs of getting better so I decided to go to another vet a town over that was recommended by a co-worker.  The vet was very nice and looked Teddy over.  He told me that he is definitely blind (which I had already suspected) but more than that he said that he feels the reason he is blind is that he has a tumor back behind that eye and that is why his eye is kind of sticking out.  

So he basically told me that it is a quality of life issue for my baby.  I am to watch and see how he is getting along and how well he continues to eat.  

I am devastated.  I have had my Teddy for 12 years.  I really felt I would have him for years to come and now I am not sure if I will have him this Christmas.  

I can barely function right now.  I am reaching out because I need words of comfort, anything to help me get through this.  I know I need to be strong for him and enjoy him while I have him.  I don't know how to cope.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Asking for thoughts and prayers regarding my precious Teddy Bear.

Alleycat:  My prayers and thoughts are with you.  I had a cat for 18 years and then a dog who recently passed a year and a half ago (also 18 years) and it is heartbreaking.  My dog had also gone blind in one eye at age 2 and the other eye a few years later.  I love animals with a passion (more than people, except my DH LOL), but this is what I believe.  They give us such love and they become a part of our soul.  We love them with everything we have, just like they love us.  We give them the best life has to offer, lots of good food and treats and toys, lots of kisses and hugs and belly rubs, a warm bed (usually ours) but when God calls them home, they must go.  There is nothing worse to me than to see an animal suffer when there is no hope and they are in pain.  As long as Teddy Bear is hanging on, with no pain, that is hopeful.  But when they are in pain and there is no cure, it is time to let them find peace, cross the rainbow bridge, and play with all the other furrbabies in animal heaven.  God bless you and Teddy Bear and remember, he knows you love him and are doing the best you can.

Esteemed Contributor

I couldn't have said anymore than what @lovesallanimals said.  I am sorry that you and your kitty are going through this. 

Enjoy your time with Teddy and you will know when the time comes to say good bye.  It may be a way down the road.  You are a good momma and your guy knows you love him.  He trusts you. 

My prayers are with you and Teddy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@AlleyCat  Sorry to hear about your cat.