Esteemed Contributor

Re: Asking for prayers for sick dog.

I am so sorry about Grady's prognosis.  It's such a rough time for Grady and your family. Certainly your decision not to bring him elsewhere is a sound one.  I agree that Grady should live out his life in his beloved home with his loving family.  He knows how much you love and care for him.  You are a good mommy.  Hugs and best wishes.  

Honored Contributor

In my experience, cancer is always painful, and when an animal cannot eat or drink, that is also painful as they are starving, gradually.  I have been through this many times, and the last act of love that a pet can be shown is to let it go to a better place.  They are totally dependant on people to see to it that they do not suffer.

Contributor

Prayers for you and Grady.  @Mominohio you'll do what's best for your sweet friend you clearly love dearly.❤️

'I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.'Kurt Cobain
Honored Contributor

Sending more very special prayers to your precious boy and more very special Comfort Hugs to the both of you:

((((((((MOMINOHIO & HER BELOVED GRADY))))))))

---------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Contributor

Adding my prayers for your Grady that they will find out the problem and you can bring him home.  Having had nine toy poodles at one time all in the same family.  My oldest female the great grandmother of all of them had congestive heart failure and was on medicine one morning she refused to take her meds and refused her food as well as water she was eightteen and she would talk to me calling me mama.  When she quit eating so did her best friend it was a horrible day for me to take her to the vet for our last goodbye.  She let me know that it was time in the only way she knew how. The decision I made is never a easy one but I knew it was for the best for her and her friend.  Others have passed and now I have only one of the original nine and one resecue toy poodle.  Like others have said check the food and her meds sometimes they have adverse affects after being on them for a long period of time. I pray you do not have to make the ultimate decision and that he recovers and comes home to you a playfull puppy again.  We who are animal lovers feel your pain and frustration of notknowing what is wrong and the expense of all the tests.that we are willing to spend  just to get our furbabies home and well.  God Bless you and may he give the doctors the insight to find the problem.   

Honored Contributor

A final update.

After a couple of days of taking Grady to the vet for shots to help with the sick tummy, and an anti inflammatory to ease pain, we chose today to be his last.

The meds had about a 24 hour cycle in his system, and for a few hours each day, he was more perky, responsive and happy, but many other hours, we could see the effects of this very fast moving cancer. He was only eating a couple of bites each day, and drinking little (they were hydrating him daily during the trip to the vet). He slept much, and was such a brave boy with the rapid changes and feelings.

This allowed us a couple of days for him to come home, to soak in the sights, smells, voices and sounds of the life he had known. He was able to spend time on the porch while we rocked and talked the afternoon away, enjoy his favorite treat (mini marshmallows, only a couple), be told over and over how much he was loved, take a walk to the places on the property he spent his best times in life, nap through movie night with the family all surrounding him, sleep in his own bed, with family members laying by his side, taking turns guarding him through the night.

It gave us the time to tell him how much he'd brought to our lives, how much we'd miss him, how wonderful the other side would be, and remind him to look for the others that have gone on before him, once he got there. 

It gave us time to see him one or two last times in all those places in the house that are 'his'. We are so grateful that it gave us all time to grieve as well as sit up late one night, surrounding him as he slept, telling stories of all the times of his life, and ours with him. We did this for him, to lull him with our voices, but we did it for us. We have scattered as a family lately, with child grown, and adults all busy, and this brought us back together, bonding us in a sad but deep and important way. It has been a stark reminder just how quickly life can change (this entire event pretty much took place in less than two weeks), and how important it is to spend time with those we love in the now, right now, so as to have no regrets later, wishing we had seen more/done more with those we love.

We got to all hold him as he slipped off to sleep, peacefully, and wrapped in the love of a family who will be forever grateful for his sweet kind spirit, his unconditional love, his funny antics.

I'll admit, I've spent a significant part of this last week not only in tears, but devastated and bawling. But as we held him while he went to sleep, I felt such a peace, knowing he won't suffer any longer, and we had done every thing to know what was wrong, and why he was so sick. I will have bad days, and they will overwhelm me in the weeks and months to come, but for tonight, I am just peaceful beyond what I expected.

I am so grateful that we had the means to pay for (actually the credit to make payments for this in the future) the services to find out his problem, and to have him treated daily and brought back home. It was well over $100 each day just to take him in for meds and fluids, then bring him back home. My heart breaks for those that don't have any way to pay when such costly things occur, and have to put down a pet wondering if there might have been something to be done to save them or extend their lives, that would be worthwhile. We didn't have to wonder. While we chose not to treat the disease, we got to know what is was, what the prognosis was with treatments (not good at all), and make informed decisions. That is a luxury many would not have with their beloved pets.

I am also so very grateful for all of you here that have taken the time to share and care about this situation. It has meant so much to me, to have somewhere to come and receive support with something that as a pet parent, we know is inevitable, but we never want to actually have come. Thank you for holding us up in our time of need.

My prayers to all who are experiencing something similar at this time, to those who have walked the path before, and for all animals that don't have people to love and care for them. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so glad that you found peace in Grady's last day. Pets are so precious and give so much to us.  Watching your animal get sick and moving through a diagnosis, especially cancer, is devastating.  Things usually happen so quicky.  I am so glad that you were able to do everything possible for your sweetie.  He was treasured and left this world knowing that.  What a wonderful feeling for him.

Blessings to you as you grieve his loss.  Treasure those memories and all of those many many happy days that you shared.   Thinking of you.....................

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I seldom have read a more moving and heartfelt tribute to a beloved pet, Mominohio.  Very few dogs on this planet experienced more pure love than your dear Grady.  You gave him the greatest of gifts in the twilight of his life:  the opportunity to enjoy all the people and places and things that made his life so happy -- and the opportunity to let go of pain as he ascends to his next journey.

Grady lives among angels now as he most surely deserves -- and he lived the life of a king treasured by his most loving family.  He gave you all of his love, and you gave him all of yours.  There is no higher aspiration for us in this life.  Thank for sharing all of it with us in this sharpest time of your grief; our prayers are with your family.

Godspeed, dear Grady! 

Honored Contributor

Mominohio, I've been out of town for eight days but read through your posts when I returned.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Grady sounds like he was a very special dog, and you were  a wonderful mom to him.

I had to make this decision in March for a beloved dog of mine and understand how hard all of this has been for you.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing all the updates and thoughts. How I wish the outcome was different. But you and your Vet approached it the best way for Grady. It is hard to see the ones we love leave our lives.

But think how Grady brought so much to your family's lives. And how much joy you brought to Grady's life. You both enriched each other.