Trusted Contributor

Re: Asking for prayers for sick dog.

Sending lots of prayers for you and Grady.  I agree, what ever time my fur babies have to be on this earth, I want them to spend them with me in our home.

Honored Contributor

"...My opinion is it is no quality of life to live the end of a pet's life in a hospital. It may extend the days (not talking months or even weeks sometimes). Especially if they are stressed, out of their element. Being alive isn't living any quality of life for a pet in a cage at a hospital. If they can buy them some good time back at home, worth the sacrifice and stress, if not, I don't want him there."

That's exactly how I feel, mominohio.  It definitely is not what we want to think about, but at some point reality must be faced.  And I'm sure that if Grady had his way, he would want to spend whatever time he had left at home.

I do hope you can get him perked up a bit.  I know how awful it is to watch your dog go through something like this.  Sending you my thoughts and prayers of comfort, for you all.  HeartHeart

Honored Contributor

Another Update

Pathology came back, and as I suspected and anticipated, it is cancer. A very quickly spreading one, and at best without treatment, the average life span is 39 days according to the vet.

Grady had a rough day yesterday, not keeping anything down. A trip in to the vet today, to get the test results, and some fluids, and a couple of shots, one to help with the nausea, and he is back home for now, more perky and resting comfortably as I type.

We aren't going to pursue treatment, as what is offered is 70 miles from home at The Ohio State University, won't really extend his life very long and will probably make him feel bad most of the time. And the thousands of dollars to do it just aren't here.

At this time, we are just grateful for all the great time he has been with us, grateful that this isn't a very painful cancer, and will take it day by day through this holiday weekend. We will take him in again tomorrow for his meds to be given, and to have him hydrated again, and as long as this works we will take some days to decide when the end should be.

Thanks again everyone for your support. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, mominohio, my heart goes out to you.  Please know that we, on Pet Lovers, have you and Grady in our thoughts and prayers.  Most of us have been through this and will be here for you through the weekend should you need to talk. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

mominohio,

I'm so very sorry to hear Grady's prognosis turned out to be just what you had feared.  And to be so quickly growing, too--the worst.  I know you want to spend as much time as possible with him.  You are doing the right thing, and all that you can really, by just taking it day by day and moment by moment.  Sometimes the old guys can fool you and the doctors too, you never know.

My heart goes out to you and your family and, of course, dear Grady.  Love him for as long as he can be made comfortable, and then love him forever.

Sending comforting thoughts and prayers your way.  Give Grady a big hug. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Crushed to hear the most recent news and about Grady's and your family's struggle.  Your strength is towering and your heart, even as it is breaking, is in a good place, because it's putting Grady first.

It's not fair, none of it.  Yet beaming from all of this is your clear and enduring love for Grady, a dog who has known nothing but adoration in your care.  He is an angel on this earth, and so are you and your family for the love you've showered on him throughout his life, through the good times and trials alike. 

God bless you all and we will keep you in our prayers.

Trusted Contributor

I am so very sorry that this turned out the way that it did.  You are doing what is best for Grady....taking it day by day and probably hour by hour.  One thing is for sure.....that dog is a loved dog.  Thinking of you.............

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Another Update

Pathology came back, and as I suspected and anticipated, it is cancer. A very quickly spreading one, and at best without treatment, the average life span is 39 days according to the vet.

Grady had a rough day yesterday, not keeping anything down. A trip in to the vet today, to get the test results, and some fluids, and a couple of shots, one to help with the nausea, and he is back home for now, more perky and resting comfortably as I type.

We aren't going to pursue treatment, as what is offered is 70 miles from home at The Ohio State University, won't really extend his life very long and will probably make him feel bad most of the time. And the thousands of dollars to do it just aren't here.

At this time, we are just grateful for all the great time he has been with us, grateful that this isn't a very painful cancer, and will take it day by day through this holiday weekend. We will take him in again tomorrow for his meds to be given, and to have him hydrated again, and as long as this works we will take some days to decide when the end should be.

I'm really sorry. I'm glad you had your Grady with you for so many years, but I'm still really sorry. Smiley Sad

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Another Update

So very sorry to hear the news about your Grady.  He has had a wonderful life with such a loving and caring family.  You have done all you could and hopefully that will give you some piece.  i will contine praying for Grady and your family.

Respected Contributor

mominohio, I send you a big hug from my heart to yours.

pupwhipped