Respected Contributor

Re: Asking for prayers for sick dog.

Praying for Grady and for you and your family. 

Valued Contributor

(((((((Mominohio and Grady))))))))) prayers being sent your way. 

Respected Contributor

Sending Healing Prayers to Mominohio and Grady...

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~
Honored Contributor

mominohio wrote:

UPDATE

Vet called about 8 this evening and said that Grady's EKG was good, so they put him out, and did a thorough inspection of his throat. They found a mass on his tonsil and removed it. Being sent away. From reading on the Internet, high probability it could be cancer. But we will cross that bridge later.

He was up and perky after surgery, and if they can get him to eat and drink (and those functions that follow) we hope to have him home soon.

This area was what I was telling them to focus on, as I'd seen a change in bark, eating and chewing habits, etc. While the news coming may not be exactly good, at least we now have an answer. We will await the lab report, and make decisions about just how far we want to pursue further treatment (as the web doesn't offer much positive comment there either). Trying not to put the cart before the horse, but just trying to anticipate what may be suggested.

Feeling somewhat relieved that we at least now know something, which is better than the constant not knowing. 

(((mominohio and Grady))), continuing prayers and positive thoughts.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

mominohio,

I'm glad that you've gotten more information on Grady, even though it may not be the best prognosis.  It does give you some small comfort to at least know a little more about what you're dealing with.  Hopefully, now that the mass in his throat is gone, that in itself will give him some relief.  And we can also hope and pray that it's benign.

No one ever really knows what will happen in these circumstances.  The vets can give you an informed opinion, but all situations are different.  It's possible that you and Grady may have a nice long period together to enjoy life.  His comfort is the prime objective now, whatever the final diagnosis turns out to be.

Whatever happens, you know that you gave him a wonderful life and will continue to do what's best for him for as long as necessary.  Sending happy healing thoughts and prayers to you and Grady.Heart

Trusted Contributor

Praying for you and your precious fur kid Grady. Hopefully the test will show what is causing his problems.

Honored Contributor

@Grama3,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious baby while you go through this terrible period. As long as she is comfortable right now, don’t think about what may come. Enjoy your time together. You both need each other to be as calm and peaceful as possible, it will help you both. So many of us know all too well how difficult your life is right now.

Sending good thoughts and peaceful prayers to you both.Heart

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio, I'm really sorry that your dog is sick. There's really no treatment for animals when it comes to old age. So I hope you get to have a few more good years with your Grady.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Sending prayers and good thoughts to (((Grady + mominohio)))

Honored Contributor

UPDATE

Grady got to come home yesterday evening. He had a pretty good night. He ate a very little, took his meds and settled right into his favorite spots and beds. He was alert but not what I'd call perky.

Took meds this morning, but hasn't drank at all, and threw up the food (and medicine) that I had to force feed through a syringe. He is still alert and we have walked around slowly outside twice this morning.

Report not back yet on the removed mass. 

Just not the same dog he was just a couple of weeks ago. I do know he needed to come home and get some real rest. He is so stressed when away from home. They tried to tell me he was resting comfortably, but I know better. When we went to see him, he was stressed, and the same when I picked him up. 

If he doesn't eat or drink today, I'll be calling tomorrow to see if they will take him in for hydration and medication again tomorrow, but want to bring him back here for the rest at night. It seems to be day by day right now, and may become hour by hour if we can't get him to eat and drink. I've given fluids (I think they called it sub Q fluids) with an iv bag and needle to several cats in the past, and would be willing to try that with him here at home as well, but this vet says they don't do that. I'm thinking if we can't do end of life care to suit us ( if that is indeed where we are, still up in the air about that, but it feels like it to me at this time) we may have to change vets.

My opinion is it is no quality of life to live the end of a pet's life in a hospital. It may extend the days (not talking months or even weeks sometimes). Especially if they are stressed, out of their element. Being alive isn't living any quality of life for a pet in a cage at a hospital. If they can buy them some good time back at home, worth the sacrifice and stress, if not, I don't want him there.