Super Contributor

Last year was the first time I had an encounter with Asian lady bugs.  They look almost like the American variety, may not quite as red.  They bite and are quite nasty.  After a little research I found they are quite dangerous for pets.  A dog had the whole roof of his mouth covered with the lady bugs.  The owner took him to the vet when he was foaming from the mouth.  What really bothered me is the fact that they were imported by the Department of Agriculture in an attempt to get rid of another pest.  Now these Asian bugs are wiping out our native lady bugs. 

Esteemed Contributor

i knew i read that before

Here is the thread from October 2016 🐞

If you're concerned about them from a garden pest POV you might try the Garden forum.

🐞

🐞

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Pet-Lovers/ASIAN-BEETLES-IN-DOG-S-MOUTH/m-p/3244017#M46453

🐞

Honored Contributor

Hum.  My mother mentioned she's had a few recently and one of the cats is going crazy trying to catch it.  I'll have to ask the color.

Honored Contributor

As if kudzu wasn't enough.  Are these lady bugs across the country or in certain areas?  .....Thanks

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1wrote:

As if kudzu wasn't enough.  Are these lady bugs across the country or in certain areas?  .....Thanks

I think so far they are mostly in warmer climates.  They look so similar you can hardly tell the difference.  Once they bite you know it's the Asian version.  I have seen several in the house already and I check my cats often to make sure they don't have them in their mouths. 

Respected Contributor

once a year they are all over the place. i never been bitten tho