Respected Contributor

Arthritis medication for dogs

[ Edited ]

My vet mentioned a new arthritis medication for dogs, injectable once a month.  It has been in use in Europe for a while.  Has anyone tried it?  I read some of the reviews from the European users, and they are mostly good.  My senior dog is doing quite well taking gabapentin.  I wonder if a dog is completely without pain form this new med, he might hurt himself doing running or activities which stress the joints too much.  Is that possible?

The med is called Librela.

Honored Contributor

Re: Arthritis medication for dogs

Our poor pets.....and they can't tell us what ails them.

(I would sure like to have one of those "talking dogs" on the CHEWY commercials, tho (!!!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I don't know about the one for dogs, but my friend just started a monthly arthritis injection for her cat.  He's a senior and is riddled with arthritis throughout his body.  He couldn't eat and was losing weight.  In constant pain, she was prepared to put him down.

Her vet suggested the injection and he's like a different cat.  Eating well, gained the weight back, interested in interacting with the other cat and even the dogs now.  She said he hasn't been that active for years.

Respected Contributor

My son just had one of these shots given to his Beagle and she seems to be doing well.  She is going to have surgery on her back legs because of the problem but the shot is helping.  The vet said she will need the medicine (the shot) probably from now on.  He will be doing that for her.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Another new name Sue wrote:

My vet mentioned a new arthritis medication for dogs, injectable once a month.  It has been in use in Europe for a while.  Has anyone tried it?  I read some of the reviews from the European users, and they are mostly good.  My senior dog is doing quite well taking gabapentin.  I wonder if a dog is completely without pain form this new med, he might hurt himself doing running or activities which stress the joints too much.  Is that possible?

The med is called Librela.

@Another new name Sue,  IMO the answer depends on the individual animal.

Unfortunately I've had to have discussions about pain control with my vet on more than one occasion.  Fortunately it has not been for a chronic problem. 

I am of the opinion that for the circumstances where pain control was necessary for my pets it was better to keep them comfortable rather than pain free to prevent further injury.  The vet is in agreement with my opinion but his opinion is based on my particular animals.

To expand on the foregoing I would look for complete pain relief if it was necessary for something chronic like arthritis.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I don't know about the one for dogs, but my friend just started a monthly arthritis injection for her cat.  He's a senior and is riddled with arthritis throughout his body.  He couldn't eat and was losing weight.  In constant pain, she was prepared to put him down.

Her vet suggested the injection and he's like a different cat.  Eating well, gained the weight back, interested in interacting with the other cat and even the dogs now.  She said he hasn't been that active for years.

@geezerette I would really like to know what this is.

Contributor

@tiny 2 It might be Solensia.  My Himalayan has been doing every 4 weeks injections for a few months now, and it seems to be helping!

Honored Contributor

@tiny 2 

I'll ask my friend.

Honored Contributor

@Sharbou wrote:

@tiny 2 It might be Solensia.  My Himalayan has been doing every 4 weeks injections for a few months now, and it seems to be helping!

@tiny 2 

Yes, this is what it is.  Solensia, by Zoetis.

The cat has been on it for a couple of months now and she says he's like a new cat.  So far, so good.

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue  My scottie that was born on the fourth of July ( Boomer) took a medicine called Rimadyl but that was back in the early 2000's.    He had arthritis and ended up passing from a heart mumur.   I would be willing to try the new meds and see if it helps!