Respected Contributor

I wouldn't give him anything without vet consultation. 

We have done everything to make sure he doesn't have to jump if he doesn't want to.  Bowl of food on the floor and a cat bed on the floor.  He does go upstairs sometimes.

I believe he was showing this same stiffness in his back legs before he was on the thyroid medication.  The diagnosis is fairly recent, and we have had his thyroid levels repeated after 6 weeks on medication.

I have Percy on phenobarbital (from a compounding pharmacy to put on his ear flaps), Iris on Baytril for inflammatory bowel disorder, and Oliver on med for hyperthyroidism.  The phenobarbital costs $100/month as he has a seizure disorder (he's young).

Thanks for the advice!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 

Hang in there!  I'm sure there's a solution to make your kitty more comfortable--your vet with come up with it.

Valued Contributor

Cosequin! I love my kitty and I consult with 3 vets. I research and read before I give her anything. She was hissing when we touched her on the tail and back area. It was harder for her to jump up as well. I give her one capsule of cosequin in her food. Its a powder and you start with 2 pills first for 30 days, she doesnt mind it in her food. She is much better and no more hissing or hurting. You can find it at petco or petsmart with no problems. It also prevents from having her getting shots or other stressful things at the vet. Good luck! 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop