Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you seeing much wildlife in your area?

I've had a groundhog living under my front porch for well over a decade.  Of course I don't think this 'Gerry' is the original Gerry.  Last weekend Gerry woke up and sunned himself/herself (don't know) on the front porch.

This morning Gerry ate some seed in the backyard with the squirrels and birds.  I'm concerned because I think Gerry has an issue with the right eye - looks puffy compared to the left.  This groundhog will never let me grab it even if I wanted to take it to a vet. 

IMG_1436 (350x263).jpg

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama  You better leave Gerry alone.  I am sure his teeth are like razors and he could be a carrier of some sort of disease YIKES!  I know they are cute.  We have one that lives on the side of our workshop.  His name is Woody.  I watch for him every year.  One summer I was sitting outside and along comes Woody around the corner.  I said "hi!" and he went flat.  I didn't mean to scare him, but I did.  He got up, turned around and waddled as fast as he could back to his hole.

I know it is hard to think he may be hurting, but I am afraid you could be hurting a lot worse if you try to tangle with him.  Smiley Surprised

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  Hopefully it's just a minor irritation that will clear up.  I got pics of Gerry while he/she was eating.  Didn't want you to think Gerry was snarling at me, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

We spend a fortune on feeding birds, deer and.......  We have 4 beautiful bucks and 8 girls that are regulars for the corn.  Turkeys, all sorts of birds, fox, coyotes, bob cats, elk, ...........  We appreciated all of them.  Unfortunately so many people can only think of getting their guns and hunting when they see these beautiful creatures.  I fed an injured fox for a whole season.  He brought his whole family once he healed up.  The pups were so cute and played like dog puppies.  The injured guy would sit on a rock on wait for me to bring his goodies (raw chicken and turkey).  When I was late he would sit in the yard and bark.  They have a call almost like a dog.  I also had 2 outdoor cats at the time and they were very respectful of each other.  People could learn from animals.  They are not as cruel as our species.

Super Contributor

Forgot, I have pictures of "my" fox.  Here is is getting left overs from a company party.  He loved rolls and hamburgers. 

Fox.jpg

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFacewrote:

@softwarewrote:

Besides the huge population of Canada Geese, I mostly see groundhogs, opossum and coyotes.   Yuk.

You don't happen to live in the Northwest, do you? We get infested with Canada Geese and I despise those nasty poop machines--you can't walk anywhere barefooted.

It varies from year to year but this year I think we're going to have a lot of moles. Even in this cold spring weather we're having, I've noticed dozens of mole hills. One year we had so many I was on the verge of calling a professional to get rid of them--I was afraid their tunnels were going to undermine my deck.

Once in a while we see a coyote, but only once in a while. We also see bald eagles--a truly magnificent sight--soaring overhead, and not rarely. And between the coyotes and bald eages, that's why we keep our cat indoors. A beloved neighborhood cat named Lucy suddenly disappeared and we're pretty sure she got snagged by some kind of wild animal.

Also bunnies--lots and lots of little soft brown bunnies. I don't even try to control the population; it's a fools errance. A few years ago some organization rounded up as many bunnies as they could and released them in the nearby forests. Guess what--they're BAAAACK!

I'm in the southeast about 2 hours north of the Gulf Coast

Super Contributor

Tends2dogs - Wow where is this?  I envy you!

Super Contributor

Live in the country and see a lot of deer, coyotes, and in the last year LOTS of wild hogs.

Deep In The Heart of Texas
Esteemed Contributor

@TWwrote:

@TW  SW Florida.  I envy your time with "your" fox.  The face looks almost like a baby bobcat.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

@tends2dogswrote:

@TWwrote:

@TW  SW Florida.  I envy your time with "your" fox.  The face looks almost like a baby bobcat.

I suspected that but I wasn't sure.  I am still aiming to live near the ocean.  The fox family came back for about 3 years then we had a large wildfire and I have never seen them after that.  Also too many people with dogs moved in and I suspect they don't feel save anymore.