Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you seeing much wildlife in your area?

We have families of deer that come to our neighborhood.  Usually six or seven of them.  They are so adorable.  My cats sit in the windows and are quite used to the deer by now.  We also have lots of squirrels, opossums, and every now and then, a fox will come through here.  We also get lots of geese because down the road from me is a small pond.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9, I love the wildlife that I see in our very small neighborhood.  I do not want to live anywhere near alligators, large venomous snakes, or large venomous spiders.  Or, any other animal that could kill me.  I think that I am safe right where I live.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

we have a wide variety of birds, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits,a fox, and something larger that has been digging some holes (have not seen it yet.....maybe a groundhog or a mole?) when i cover the hole up again with the soil it just comes back and digs it again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Cockroaches, flies & ants.

Esteemed Contributor

We caught a possum....2 rabbits and a raccoon on the trail cam ast night....

Valued Contributor

I lve in Florida on the Space Coast.  I have a lot of free land close by and less than 3 miles is the beginning of the St Johns River wetlands and a protected area for thousands of acres.  We have lots of birds, bob cat last week, fox lives in my subdivision (called Bob), baby gators in our lakes (fish and wildlife won't remove til they are 4 ft long), opossums, racoons (carry rabies), ferrel cats (pure awful for any wildlife), and my faves squirrels.  I do rescue and they are plain awesome.  I guess I am a wildlife magnet.  I do work at the Wildlife Sanctuary and love that.  

Valued Contributor

My avatar is SKY, my rescued flying squirrel found in the woods.  Awesome

Esteemed Contributor

We have everything .. we even spotted a elk a few months ago.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@softwarewrote:

Besides the huge population of Canada Geese, I mostly see groundhogs, opossum and coyotes.   Yuk.

You don't happen to live in the Northwest, do you? We get infested with Canada Geese and I despise those nasty poop machines--you can't walk anywhere barefooted.

It varies from year to year but this year I think we're going to have a lot of moles. Even in this cold spring weather we're having, I've noticed dozens of mole hills. One year we had so many I was on the verge of calling a professional to get rid of them--I was afraid their tunnels were going to undermine my deck.

Once in a while we see a coyote, but only once in a while. We also see bald eagles--a truly magnificent sight--soaring overhead, and not rarely. And between the coyotes and bald eages, that's why we keep our cat indoors. A beloved neighborhood cat named Lucy suddenly disappeared and we're pretty sure she got snagged by some kind of wild animal.

Also bunnies--lots and lots of little soft brown bunnies. I don't even try to control the population; it's a fools errance. A few years ago some organization rounded up as many bunnies as they could and released them in the nearby forests. Guess what--they're BAAAACK!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

A few that I have seen lately: 

20171210_124908-1.jpeg

20171206_160231.jpeg

20180201_080715.jpeg20180201_133459 (1).jpeg20180210_082037.jpeg20180320_103103.jpeg20180201_080715.jpeg

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!