Honored Contributor

Are you seeing much wildlife in your area?

[ Edited ]

We had two deer right outside our back bedroom window.  Only two today, sometimes we have up to seven or eight. To count them I just go Dancer, Prancer, Comet, Cupid, etc. LOL 

We still have a huge amount of water in the back yard next door. Ducks have been plentyful, and today, there were geese swimming.  Water is from the melt off and the original water back there.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you seeing much wildlife in your area?

We live in the woods so we see deer and just about every other creature that is not hibernating on a regular basis. I dread when the bear wake up and come looking for food, they will eat anything, last year we had one who tried to claw the bugs out of the logs on our house. We scared him off, so no damage.

Esteemed Contributor

We have deer and ducks in the area that live in our state park, to which our neighborhood abuts, and a red fox family that lives in our neighborhood woods.  Quite often, especially after it rains, we see ducks walking up and down the street.  Sometimes, during dusk, deer will settle on our lawns and they look like very large garden statues.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live in the northern burbs of Chicago and have wetlands both in back of our home and in the front across the street.  We are currently feeding all the birds (which we do all year)  and have the first pair of ducks for the season.  Normally we feed 3-5 pair of ducks  that turn into families.  We also get HUGE turtles that we watch for because they try to cross the street and we try to help so they don't get run over.  Often times a car will see them and stop to help as well.  My neighbor puts up Turtle Crossing signs along the street.  We have all sorts of cranes, and herrons, and opossom, rabbits, racoons, etc. 

We also plant a bee garden on the side of our house.

Edited to add...   Oh,  and we have too many coyotes..... and,  now the skunks are out!

Respected Contributor

Although we live in a busy suburban area with a high volume of traffic we have deer.

Due to the amount of people and limited land they have become very docile - they do not mind people or dogs.  They walk around the neighborhood.

They walk right up to the house and dig out our landscaping for a snack.  Late one afternoon I thought the one doe was looking in the window to watch TV!  (LOL)

I do not allow the dogs to get close to the deer as I fear one of the deer will spook and kick one of my girls.

Honored Contributor

We live in the city next to a busy street and we have seen skunks and opossums in our back yard. Every now and then a skunk gets hit on the busy street because the smell lingers. It’s not unusual to have lots of bunnies in the spring and summer. The squirrels are fun to watch too. 

Honored Contributor

Let me put it this way....

My brother will tell anybody who is listening that I live in Jurassic Park. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirlwrote:

We have deer and ducks in the area that live in our state park, to which our neighborhood abuts, and a red fox family that lives in our neighborhood woods.  Quite often, especially after it rains, we see ducks walking up and down the street.  Sometimes, during dusk, deer will settle on our lawns and they look like very large garden statues.

@SXMGirl . I could have written your post!

ETA:  At least I only have deer, ducks & foxes....I'm going to visit my mother in Florida soon and I'm always worried about seeing an alligator! They terrify me!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Besides the huge population of Canada Geese, I mostly see groundhogs, opossum and coyotes.   Yuk.

Trusted Contributor

About the most we see are rabbits.